This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8129 / 51°48'46"N
Longitude: -3.0366 / 3°2'11"W
OS Eastings: 328633
OS Northings: 213209
OS Grid: SO286132
Mapcode National: GBR F4.WZB5
Mapcode Global: VH796.BP0K
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Faith
Listing Date: 9 January 1956
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17228
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the western edge of the village and set in the slope of the circular churchyard with a lime avenue. The churchyard entrance is at the junction of Llanellen Road and the B4246 Merthyr Road.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Built-Up Area: Llanfoist
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Medieval church, possibly C13, largely rebuilt in 1872 at the expense of Crawshay Bailey II. He was the only son of Crawshay Bailey 1, the great ironmaster and industrialist who retired to live at Llanfoist House.
Nave, chancel which is stepped down and narrower, south porch and north vestry. Built of local rubble with tiled roof and freestone parapets with crucifix finial to east; nave has central octagonal ventilator. 3-light Geometric east window and cusped lancets to chancel south side flanking a late-Perp round-headed priest's door. Vestry to north has chamfered, dressed stone doorway. Nave has cusped 2 and 3-light windows with Tudor labels. At the south-east corner of the nave is a square chimney stack with muscular Victorian detailing. The south porch has timber gates, wagon roof and four-centred inner arch; retains an ex situ tombstone dated 1697. North side of nave has possible blocked round-headed window. Battered west end with pointed arch doorway which pierces the frame to the 3-light reticulated west window and incorporates trefoiled spandrels. Twin bellcote retaining bells.
Chancel has carved reredos with floral and fruit carving to cornice and spandrels. C18 wall monuments. Victorian barrel ribbed roof and similar to nave. Victorian chancel arch. Brass plaque on north nave wall commemorating the restoration of the church by Crawshay Bailey. East window dated 1872 and the west window of 1906 by J Jennings of London.
Listed for its medieval origins and good interior detail dating from the Victorian restoration.
Other nearby listed buildings