History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Flight of steps to E of tunnel under canal

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr), Monmouthshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8111 / 51°48'39"N

Longitude: -3.0387 / 3°2'19"W

OS Eastings: 328488

OS Northings: 213007

OS Grid: SO284130

Mapcode National: GBR F4.X4VT

Mapcode Global: VH796.8QXZ

Entry Name: Flight of steps to E of tunnel under canal

Listing Date: 24 February 1971

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17240

Building Class: Transport

Location: At Llanfoist Wharf which is situated uphill to the south-west of Llanfoist Parish Church. Also passes under Boathouse Cottage.

County: Monmouthshire

Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)

Community: Llanfoist Fawr

Locality: Llanfoist

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Govilon

History

Llanfoist Wharf was where the tramroad from Garnddyrys Forge, built by Thomas Hill of Blaenavon in 1825, reached the canal. The canal as a whole was linked to many tramroads and was important for trade in iron, lime and coal. The tunnel predates Llanfoist Wharf and the tramroad as it is shown on early maps as a parish road. It is therefore contemporary with the canal, this section of which was built between 1809 and 1812. The tunnel appears to have been constructed in three phases.
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal (now known as the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal) was constructed between 1797 and 1812. Gradually the railway took traffic off the canal and eventually it was bought out by the Great Western Railway. Restoration work began in 1964.

Exterior

The tunnel is oriented NE/SW and is 33.6m long in all. The original part is that under the canal at the downhill end. Here there is a high stone revetment wall that follows the bend in the canal and a round arched tunnel entrance with set-back red sandstone voussoirs. This part of the tunnel is stone-lined with a semi-circular arched roof. The second phase of the tunnel is similar and continues the same alignment but the third, upper, phase which is directly under the house turns to a more E/W alignment; it has straight sides and the flat roof is also the floor of the house. Culvert to the south-east side. At the uphill end the tunnel entrance is beneath the gable end of the house and under a cast-iron plate. On the downhill side the towpath and tunnel are linked by a steep flight of stone steps, one step of which is inscribed 'B & A C Co' (Brecon and Abergavenny Canal Company).

Reasons for Listing

Listed for special interest as a tunnel under the canal and as an integral part of the important early C19 group at Llanfoist Wharf.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tunnel under Canal
    At Llanfoist Wharf which is situated uphill to the south-west of Llanfoist Parish Church. Also passes under Boathouse Cottage.
  • II Bridge over Canal at Llanfoist Wharf
    Spanning the canal at Llanfoist Wharf and now serving as the access to Boathouse Cottage. Also known as Tod's Bridge.
  • II Canal Wharf at Boathouse Cottage
    At Llanfoist Wharf which is situated uphill to the south-west of Llanfoist Parish Church. The wharf is on the west side of the canal and Boathouse Cottage is built over the tunnel; the house is reach
  • II Boathouse Cottage
    At Llanfoist Wharf which is situated uphill to the south-west of Llanfoist Parish Church. The wharf is on the west side of the canal and Boathouse Cottage is built over the tunnel; the house is reach
  • II Llanfoist Wharf Boathouse, Beacon Park Boats
    At Llanfoist Wharf which is situated uphill to the south-west of Llanfoist Parish Church. The wharf is on the west side of the canal and the Boathouse is set to the north of the former tramway.
  • II Memorial to Crawshay Bailey to SW of Parish Church of St Faith
    Situated at the upper, southern, end of the churchyard.
  • II South Lodge
    Above the road and set in its own grounds, immediately to the west of Church Lane and the Parish Church of St Faith.
  • II Parish Church of St Faith
    On the western edge of the village and set in the slope of the circular churchyard with a lime avenue. The churchyard entrance is at the junction of Llanellen Road and the B4246 Merthyr Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.