This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1637 / 53°9'49"N
Longitude: -3.4112 / 3°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 305752
OS Northings: 363886
OS Grid: SJ057638
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.4RVZ
Mapcode Global: WH771.KQVZ
Plus Code: 9C5R5H7Q+FG
Entry Name: Rosa Fawr Farmhouse
Listing Date: 6 September 1996
Last Amended: 29 November 1999
Source ID: 17257
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 2km S of Denbigh on the W side of a minor road between Pont Ystrad and Prion.
Community: Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch
Traditional County: Denbighshire
House probably with C16 origins (partially exposed cruck between living room and kitchen); major alterations in mid C17 (formerly had heraldic shield over doorway with date 1650), and late C18 (several coins found under parlour floor dated 1797).
Three storey, 6 window front in exposed stone (sides and rear mainly rendered), slate roof with brick chimneys. Windows are hornless sashes with 4 large panes (some modern copies). Doorway in 3rd bay has modern gabled open timber porch (made 1990s from joists from former C17 barn once to rear); half-glazed double-leaf door. Left gable end has exposed timber-framing of small scantling. To L, single-storey kitchen block with 2 large arched sash windows; large stone chimney to L. Right gable end has 2 windows to ground floor, single window to other floors, and 2 small square attic windows. Behind this, at corner, gabled block (making partial double-pile plan). Rear has lean-to extensions of various dates and long rear wing at right angles.
Lobby entry plan with former hall to the L. The entrance lobby has a section of ex-situ early C18 large field panelling placed against its rear wall. The parlour room (to R) has transverse lightly-chamfered beams, a fireplace with cambered lintel and a second fireplace at the N gable end. The former hall (to the L of the lobby) has heavy chamfered longitudinal beams and exposed joists; large fireplace with deep, slightly cambered bressumer. The kitchen, beyond the hall is modernised, though has an exposed timber-framed partition wall of light scantling. Cellar with stone flagged floor and spring. Behind the hall is an early C18 narrow oak well stair, the first flight of which is a C19 alteration with columnar balusters. The upper flights, rising to the second floor, are original, and have heavier turned balusters, moulded handrail and square newels with flat moulded capping. The interior retains many early C18 doors with fielded panels (five to the ground floor and five to the first floor).
Listed for its special interest as a substantial Georgian house with earlier timber-framed origins and unusually heavily-windowed facade.
Other nearby listed buildings