History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hafod

A Grade II Listed Building in Nantcwnlle, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2009 / 52°12'3"N

Longitude: -4.0893 / 4°5'21"W

OS Eastings: 257309

OS Northings: 257912

OS Grid: SN573579

Mapcode National: GBR DR.3G99

Mapcode Global: VH4GB.2YH4

Entry Name: Hafod

Listing Date: 26 November 1996

Last Amended: 26 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17793

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated just N of junction of B4342 Llangeitho road, and B 4576 to Bwlch-llan, with access from B 4576.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Nantcwnlle (Nancwnlle)

Community: Nantcwnlle

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Talsarn

History

Early C19, possibly on earlier core. Owned by the Rogers family in later C18. Lewis Rogers of Hafod married Anne Edwardes of Abermeurig, died 1819. On 1843 Nantcwnlle Tithe Map marked as Hafod Fawr, owned by the Bishop of St Davids, occupied by Edward Evans. The Rev Edward Evans of Hafod, Vicar of Llangeitho, died 1859, is buried at Nantcwnlle.

Exterior

Rubble stone with slate roofs, and stone end stacks. Tall three-storey, three-window range with later C19 4-pane sash windows with centre ledged door. Stone voussoirs to main floors, timber lintels to upper floor. Centre rear gabled stair tower with arched stair-light and Gothic intersecting glazing bars. Two-storey NW service range with stone end stack, three casement pair windows above, ground floor 6-pane window, 4-pane window, door and 6-pane window. NE outshut to rear. This part was whitewashed and two windows left of the door were blocked.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved late Georgian gentry house of regional character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Dolwerdd
    Situated behind farm-buildings of Gwastod, some 0.5 km NE of Abermeurig house.
  • II Outbuilding at Dolwerdd
    Situated just SW of Dolwerdd, facing E over front yard.
  • II Tanrallt Uchaf
    Situated on N side of B 4342 Talsarn-Llangeitho road about 4.5 km NE of Talsarn.
  • II Tynant
    Situated on S side of Abermeurig-Llwynygroes road some 450m W of turning to Gartheli church.
  • II Abermeurig
    Situated in Aeron valley, some 300m N of Abermeurig village.
  • II Felin Coed
    Situated off left side of lane that connects the B 4342 Talsarn- Llangeitho road with Abermeurig across the Aeron. House is opposite Pentre farm and screened from the road by modern house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.