This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1855 / 52°11'7"N
Longitude: -4.0804 / 4°4'49"W
OS Eastings: 257870
OS Northings: 256180
OS Grid: SN578561
Mapcode National: GBR DR.4JHQ
Mapcode Global: VH4GJ.7B6F
Entry Name: Former farmhouse and cowshed at Trefynor Isaf
Listing Date: 26 November 1996
Last Amended: 26 November 1996
Source ID: 17799
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated to left of present farmhouse, on S side of farmyard at Trefynor Isaf, which is approached by drive of some 400m running SW from Abermeurig-Llwynygroes road from point just W of Tynant.
Community: Nantcwnlle (Nancwnlle)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
C18 original farmhouse at Trefynor Isaf, replaced by present house in 1850. Said to have been traced in documents to 1743. Marked on 1845 Gartheli Tithe Map as owned by William Lloyd.
Whitewashed cob or clom walling with some rubble stone, and corrugated iron roof, formerly thatched. Chimney removed. One-storey formerly with loft. N front has hornless 16-pane sash to left, ledged door to right of centre and small boarded square window to right. Rubble stone E end wall, W end has large loft opening with oak lintel. Rear has added rubble stone lean to with slate roof and five doors, the second through to house rear door, the others to pig-sties. Stone piers between.
Added to left is cow-house, down slope, whitewashed rubble with slate roof. Ledged door front and C20 window to left. Brick C20 addition to left. Ledged door to left of E end wall. Rear has one C20 window to right, one centre window, part blocked by added lean-to to left.
House has two pegged collars trusses with feet scarfed onto long wall-posts. Double purlins. E end has chimney-beam right across supporting hood, formerly wicker, now zinc-clad. Door to cow-house to right. Two beams to upper end for former loft floor, one with mortices for former partition. Large W loft window has crude timber arched window frame inserted. Cow shed has four-bay C19 roof, dated 1898.
Listed for its character as a traditional smaller house of the region, with surviving scarfed roof trusses and chimney hood.
Other nearby listed buildings