A Grade II Listed Building in Betws-y-Coed, Conwy
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Upload Photo »
Latitude: 53.1166 / 53°6'59"N
Longitude: -3.9312 / 3°55'52"W
OS Eastings: 270848
OS Northings: 359460
OS Grid: SH708594
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y.7RJY
Mapcode Global: WH54Q.LX7L
Plus Code: 9C5R4389+MG
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 27 November 1996
Last Amended: 27 November 1996
Source ID: 17823
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the roadside in the Afon Llugwy valley some 3km NW of Capel Curig.; set against a low rubble wall
Community: Capel Curig
Community: Capel Curig
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Milestone erected c.1815 as part of the new London to Holyhead road (now the A5), designed and implemented by Thomas Telford, engineer.
Tapered milestone of dressed and tooled stone, with chamfered base and edges, and triangular head. Inset cast iron plaque with, in raised letters:` Holyhead 38, Bangor 13, C. Curig 1M - 3F; no visible foundry marks.
Reasons for Listing
Included for its special historic interest as one of the original milestones of Telford's London to Holyhead road.
Other nearby listed buildings
Situated on the roadside approximately .5km N of the Capel Curig road junction; set within a low rubble wall and partly submerged below the road level.
Situated approximately 2.5km NW of Capel Curig in the mountainous Afon Llugwy valley; on the roadside, set against a low rubble wall.
Agricultural Building at Royal Farm
Faces N across the Afon Llugwy valley on the western edge of Capel Curig; situated just beyond the Pont-y-Capel road bridge, opposite Capel Curig church.
Spanning the Afon Llugwy across a dramatic wooded, rocky gorge, at the N end of Capel Curig village; approximately 50m N of the A 5 / A 4086 cross roads.
Spanning the Afon Llugwy immediately N of Capel Curig church and carrying the A 4086.
Garage at Helyg
On the north side of the A5, just to the east of Helyg, c 3.5km W of Capel Curig.
Church of St Curig
Situated immediately W of the A 4086 (Capel Curig to Caernarfon road), on the S bank of the Afon Llugwy; approximately 300m NE of Plas-y-Brenin (the National Recreation Centre).
Plas-y-Brenin, National Recreation Centre (formerly the Royal Hotel).
Located on the roadside at the eastern end of the Llynnau Mymbyr and approximately 750m SW of the Capel Curig road junction.