History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Agricultural Building at Royal Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Capel Curig, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.104 / 53°6'14"N

Longitude: -3.9168 / 3°55'0"W

OS Eastings: 271768

OS Northings: 358026

OS Grid: SH717580

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.8H0G

Mapcode Global: WH54X.T70R

Entry Name: Agricultural Building at Royal Farm

Listing Date: 20 August 1991

Last Amended: 27 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3648

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Faces N across the Afon Llugwy valley on the western edge of Capel Curig; situated just beyond the Pont-y-Capel road bridge, opposite Capel Curig church.

County: Conwy

Community: Capel Curig

Community: Capel Curig

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Capel-Curig

History

Almost certainly built to serve the Royal Hotel (to W on S side of road) and therefore contemporary with it; the Royal Hotel was built c1800/1801 for Richard Pennant, Lord Penrhyn, and many of the c.1800 buildings on the Penrhyn estate are known to have been designed by Benjamin Wyatt. On this evidence it is probable that this building at Royal Farm was also by Benjamin Wyatt or one of his assistants. Fire damage - 1990.

Exterior

Storeyed rubble agricultural building with slate roofs; comprises gable fronted barn to centre with stepped-down and slightly set back, hipped-roofed stabling to either side and cattle accommodation to either end. Loft door and modern window to centre; boarded door below beside broad opening with modern cement lintel. The 3-bay flanking ranges have corbelled eaves and mostly blocked loft openings with boarded doors to inner bays. On the ground floor, both have broad, altered, openings to left of windows with small-pane glazing and massive slate-stone lintels. At the right hand end the building is extended by a further animal shelter; stepped down at left end is a 5-bay range with hipped roof; altered barn beyond.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an interesting example of model farm-building design of this period and as one of the last surviving Penrhyn estate buildings that are believed to have been built by Benjamin Wyatt.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pont-y-Capel
    Spanning the Afon Llugwy immediately N of Capel Curig church and carrying the A 4086.
  • II* Church of St Curig
    Situated immediately W of the A 4086 (Capel Curig to Caernarfon road), on the S bank of the Afon Llugwy; approximately 300m NE of Plas-y-Brenin (the National Recreation Centre).
  • II Plas-y-Brenin, National Recreation Centre (formerly the Royal Hotel).
    Located on the roadside at the eastern end of the Llynnau Mymbyr and approximately 750m SW of the Capel Curig road junction.
  • II Hen Bont
    Spanning the Afon Llugwy across a dramatic wooded, rocky gorge, at the N end of Capel Curig village; approximately 50m N of the A 5 / A 4086 cross roads.
  • II Church of St Curig
    To W of A5 in churchyard above road. Opposite junction with A4086
  • II Milestone
    Situated on the roadside approximately .5km N of the Capel Curig road junction; set within a low rubble wall and partly submerged below the road level.
  • II Milestone
    Situated on the roadside approximately .6km NW of Pont Cyfyng.
  • II Milestone
    On the roadside in the Afon Llugwy valley some 3km NW of Capel Curig.; set against a low rubble wall

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.