This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1022 / 53°6'7"N
Longitude: -3.918 / 3°55'4"W
OS Eastings: 271686
OS Northings: 357828
OS Grid: SH716578
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z.8NR1
Mapcode Global: WH54X.S9G4
Plus Code: 9C5R432J+VR
Entry Name: Plas-y-Brenin, National Recreation Centre (formerly the Royal Hotel).
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 27 November 1996
Source ID: 3181
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Located on the roadside at the eastern end of the Llynnau Mymbyr and approximately 750m SW of the Capel Curig road junction.
Community: Capel Curig
Community: Capel Curig
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built as an Inn c1800-1 by Lord Penrhyn on his new turnpike road; added to in stages, c1808, and later C19. Described by Bingley, the early C19 traveller as `a mean pot house.' From 1808 the Shrewsbury to Holyhead mail-coach ran via Capel Curig, thereby increasing the inn's popularity. The Duke of Richmond (1807), George Borrow (1854), Queen Victoria and Kings Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII all stayed at the inn, which was re-named the Royal Hotel c1870. Presently an outdoor pursuits centre, for which modern additions and alterations have been made.
Late Georgian storeyed inn of irregular plan, with stuccoed front and slate-hung side and rear elevations. The building consists of 6 distinct ranges, the three to the R of the early C19, the 3 to the L later C19. Hipped roof to 2-storey, 2-window block at far R, with a symmetrical 3 bay range adjoining and stepped-down slightly to the L; 12-pane recessed sash windows to ground and 9-pane to first floors, those to R section ground floor in pointed-arched recesses. Central entrance to 3-bay range with late C19 single-storey, hipped-roofed porch; corbelled eaves, part-glazed door. Adjoining to the L and slightly stepped-down, a 4-bay section comprising a gabled central entrance bay with flanking single-bay wings and, to the L a wide, projecting storeyed and canted bay. 12-pane sashes to ground floor as before, with 6-pane windows to upper floor; blind front-facing windows to canted bay. Porch to centre, as before, though wider, with flanking segmental openings to segmentally-arched entrance. Stepped-up and adjoining to the L, three later C19 blocks, the outer of which are of 3 storeys; that to far L has a raised ground floor above a basement. The R section has an advanced central bay with plain ground-floor entrance, and three asymmetrical gables to the upper floor; the roof is hipped to the R, and a modern extension adjoins to L Further 12, 9, 6 and 4-pane recessed sashes.
Similar windows and hipped roofs to slate-hung rear elevation, with blind and actual intersecting wooden Gothick windows to central canted bay and flanking ranges.
Plain single-flight stair to hall (now boxed-in), with stick balusters, swept pine rail and columnar newel; small gallery above with glazed top-light. Depressed-arched opening to R of hall with fanlight and modern doors. This leads to a corridor with panelled window reveals and a fine painted coat of arms on mounted canvas, set into the L wall; inscription below reads (in contemporary hand): `His grace the Duke of Richmond, September 6th, 1807.' Further, similar stair, though of narrow well type, at the end of the corridor, behind modern doors. Large dining room with ribbed, decorative plaster ceiling and plaster-panelled walls; Adamesque decorative motifs, all early C20.
Included for its special interest as a famous, late Georgian former coaching inn.
Other nearby listed buildings