This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2196 / 52°13'10"N
Longitude: -3.9328 / 3°55'58"W
OS Eastings: 268059
OS Northings: 259687
OS Grid: SN680596
Mapcode National: GBR DY.2C3X
Mapcode Global: VH4GD.SG7V
Plus Code: 9C4R6398+RV
Entry Name: Henry Richard Memorial
Listing Date: 10 June 1997
Last Amended: 10 June 1997
Source ID: 18476
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Situated in the centre of the square in Tregaron.
Built-Up Area: Tregaron
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1893 memorial statue by Albert Toft of London (1869-1949), cast by Moore of Thames Ditton. Memorial to Henry Richard (1812-88), native of Tregaron, Liberal MP for Merthyr, called 'the Member for Wales' and 'the apostle of Peace'.
Bronze statue, 2.6 m (8' 6"), of Richard standing to speak, in everyday clothes, holding sheaf of papers headed 'PEACE' in one hand, spectacles in other. Granite 2.9 m (9' 6") pedestal with moulded cornice and plinth, inscribed 'Henry Richard A.S. Ganwyd Ebrill 3 1812 Bu Farw Awst 20 1888'. Also two affixed bronze plaques detailing Richard's achievements, one in Welsh, one in English. Surrounding low railing of 8 ornate iron posts with battered panelled sides and bulbous finials, scrolled low cast-iron panels and chains between posts.
Listed as the focal point of the town, a statue of historical interest, and artistic merit, by one of the sculptors associated with the New Sculpture movement of 1880-1914.
Other nearby listed buildings