History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding to N of Trecefel farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tregaron, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2088 / 52°12'31"N

Longitude: -3.9508 / 3°57'3"W

OS Eastings: 266796

OS Northings: 258519

OS Grid: SN667585

Mapcode National: GBR DY.2SSF

Mapcode Global: VH4GD.GRQ4

Entry Name: Outbuilding to N of Trecefel farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 June 1997

Last Amended: 10 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18484

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated at upper end of farmyard, facing down slope.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Tregaron

Community: Tregaron

Locality: Trecefel

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Pont Llanio Station

History

Lofted outbuilding, former carthouse and stable, dated 1836, but possibly including part of an earlier building to right, and with addition to left.

Exterior

Rubble stone with slate roof, the stone squared to main part, rough to right and left ends. Long lofted range. The main part has two depressed-arched cart entries with stone voussoirs, raised impost blocks and keystones. Above, a double row of seven recessed dove-holes with shelves and two small boarded loft lights under eaves. To left, under eaves, plaque reads 'Erected 1836 J. Lloyd'. To right is stable with door and window and one loft-light above. Stone voussoirs to ground floor. To right of ground floor window masonry changes and right end appears to be an earlier range partly built over in 1836. One door and one window below with red brick heads, one loft light above and between. Loft door on end wall with brick head.

Added part at left end has continuous roof but with overhang as range is narrower. Roof oversails stairs to loft of main range, then added part has ground floor door to right and loft window to left. Single-stone lintels. End wall has sills of two blocked windows.

Interior

Right end of main range has loft floor removed and 5-bay roof, 2 older oak trusses, bolted collars, and 3 pine trusses.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved earlier C19 farm-building of definite regional character. Group value with Trecefel.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Trecefel
    Situated above W bank of Teifi, some 1.5 km SW of Tregaron, approached by drive running SE from A 485.
  • II Bwlchgwynt Chapel
    Situated on right side of Lampeter road out of Tregaron, just before Tregaron School.
  • II Church of Saint Caron
    Situated in the centre of Tregaron, raised on a small hillock between the Bridge and the Square.
  • II Trefelin
    Situated W of centre of Tregaron, on corner of Station Road and back lane to Bwlchgwynt Chapel. Stone cobbled pavement in front, cobbled yard behind.
  • II National Westminster Bank
    Situated overlooking irregular square just W of Tregaron Bridge in town centre.
  • II The Talbot Hotel
    Situated along the SE side of the Square in Tregaron.
  • II Henry Richard Memorial
    Situated in the centre of the square in Tregaron.
  • II Telephone Call Box by the Memorial Hall (01974 298233)
    Situated on N side of the Square in Tregaron.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.