This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.219 / 52°13'8"N
Longitude: -3.9369 / 3°56'12"W
OS Eastings: 267777
OS Northings: 259628
OS Grid: SN677596
Mapcode National: GBR DY.2B43
Mapcode Global: VH4GD.QH29
Entry Name: Bwlchgwynt Chapel
Listing Date: 10 June 1997
Last Amended: 10 June 1997
Source ID: 18480
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on right side of Lampeter road out of Tregaron, just before Tregaron School.
Built-Up Area: Tregaron
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel founded 1774, present chapel built 1833 and altered in 1865. Facade stuccoed in late C19. Said to have been copied from Capel Y Garn, Bow Street, Ceredigion, 1833, after the Rev. Ebenezer Richard preached at the opening service there.
Unpainted stucco facade and rubble stone side walls, slate-hung on rear and S. Slate roof, paired brackets to eaves. Large lateral-fronted chapel with stucco quoins and heavy rusticated surrounds to 6 arched openings with voussoirs, keystones and hoodmoulds. Two centre windows, two outer gallery windows over two doors. Windows have late C19 Y-tracery glazing, doors have 1833 intersecting Gothic glazing bars to fanlights and C20 panelled doors. Above and between 2 centre windows is arch-headed plaque with similar keystone and hood inscribed 'Bwlchgwynt Addoldy y Trefnyddion Calfinaidd. Adeiladwyd yn y fl. 1774 ac ahelaethwyd yn y flwyddyn 1809. Ailadeiladwyd yn y fl 1833 a gosodwyd yr oriel (gallery) ynddo yn y flwyddyn 1865. Hyd yma y gynnorthwyodd yr Arglwydd nyni 1 Sam 7 12.'.
End walls have 2-storey, 2-window elevations with marginal glazing bars to sashes. Rubble stone N end with stone voussoirs and blank window in gable. Slate-hung S end. Rear is slate-hung similar 3-window range.
Fine interior of densely packed box-pews, panelled with painted graining and roll-moulded top rails. Blocks are raked back towards rear and curved to front following line of curved similar great seat. Small blocks of pews each side of pulpit, with curved fronts. Pulpit has curved front with consoles under lectern. 1865 gallery is 3-sided with brackets to lower cornice, seven iron columns, and front in long panels with arched panels to pilasters between. Curved angles, raked seating.
Listed as one of the larger Calvinistic Methodist chapels of the county with good interior of 1833 and 1865.
Other nearby listed buildings