This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2233 / 53°13'23"N
Longitude: -4.1622 / 4°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 255747
OS Northings: 371766
OS Grid: SH557717
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0WZL
Mapcode Global: WH547.179S
Entry Name: Menai Courthouse Church
Listing Date: 18 July 1997
Last Amended: 16 October 1998
Source ID: 18554
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on the west side of Beach Road, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. Abutting the northern end of the former police station.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Town: Menai Bridge
Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)
Community: Menai Bridge
Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge
Traditional County: Anglesey
Built as a magistrates court in 1868. The courthouse was built abutting the northern end of the police station and doorways have been cut through to allow access between the two buildings. A later extension to the rear of both buildings encloses a small open area that was once part of a larger courtyard. Ceased to be used as a court in 1993. Both buildings are now owned by the Independent Evangelical Church, who bought the premises in 1995 from Gwynedd County Council. The arched windows were replaced c1990, following the pattern of the original windows.
Two storeys, 2-bay elevation dominated by the round-arched windows of the former courtroom in the principal upper storey, which are set beneath paired gabled dormers advanced from the main hipped roof. Walls are rendered and painted limestone with stressed plain quoins below a hipped slate roof. Entrance to right, and small paired 4-pane sash windows to left. Upper windows are recessed in tall round arched-openings; paired 8-pane sashes with geometric glazing in the tympanum of the arch. Oculi in gable apexes above. Porch to right, set back, forming entry to upper storey. Square-headed entrance with limestone dressings and cornice. Wrought iron gate to porch with boarded door behind.
Main courtroom contains a panelled wooden magistrates bench, with a sloping top supported by decorative scrolled wooden brackets and bench seat to front. Three sets of painted wooden bench seating face the magistrates bench, with backs of rails supported on chamfered balusters. The magistrates room in the later extension to the rear of the building, contains original boarded shutters to door to right. Lower storey rooms contain original doors and cupboards.
Listed as a relatively complete C19 courthouse, retaining historic character and original internal fittings. Built as a direct result of the growth of Menai Bridge in the mid C19, reflecting a need for local law enforcement. Forms a group with the adjoining former police station.
Other nearby listed buildings