History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Foundry

A Grade II Listed Building in Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2226 / 53°13'21"N

Longitude: -4.1619 / 4°9'43"W

OS Eastings: 255760

OS Northings: 371690

OS Grid: SH557716

Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0X2G

Mapcode Global: WH547.18D9

Entry Name: The Foundry

Listing Date: 18 July 1997

Last Amended: 18 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18561

Building Class: Industrial

Location: In the lower part of Menai Bridge, alongside the Menai Strait, running at right angles from the shore to Beach Road. There is a yard area to the north.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Menai Bridge

Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)

Community: Menai Bridge

Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Menai Bridge

History

Early C19. Traditionally reputed to have been used as a foundry for the building of Menai Suspension Bridge (1819-26), when many of the present quayside buildings and piers in Menai Bridge were built. Used as a timber warehouse during the remainder of the C19, and up to the 1990s.

Exterior

Large 2 storey building of industrial character. Walls of uncoursed rubble with large quoins, cambered brick heads to openings, slate sills. Hipped roof of large slates laid to diminishing courses. Main elevation faces yard to N: long 2 storeyed elevation with 2 sets of double doors towards centre (separated by 2 windows on each floor); left hand doors in original opening with cambered brick heads. To outer sides of doors, 3 window range. Windows throughout have cambered brick heads.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved quayside building, locally associated with the construction of the Menai Suspension Bridge between 1819-26, and later with the importation of timber, an important survivor of the industrial-maritime character of the lower, quayside area of Menai Bridge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Cottage on W side of Beach Road
    Single storey cottage set between two storeyed houses on the west side of Beach Road, below the Cambria in Menai Bridge, close to the Strait.
  • II Former Police Station
    Located on the west side of Beach Road, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. Abutting the northern end is the former courthouse.
  • II Menai Courthouse Church
    Located on the west side of Beach Road, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. Abutting the northern end of the former police station.
  • II* The Cambria
    Near the foot of Menai Bridge on the E side, overlooking the Menai Straits, on the NW side of Cambria Road, leading from Beach Road.
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
  • II Capel Mawr Chapel House
    Within the grounds and S of Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel, at the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.
  • II* Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.