History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milepost north of Bridge 53, Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

A Grade II Listed Building in New Inn, Torfaen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6982 / 51°41'53"N

Longitude: -3.0204 / 3°1'13"W

OS Eastings: 329571

OS Northings: 200429

OS Grid: SO295004

Mapcode National: GBR J4.4BYR

Mapcode Global: VH79S.LLK1

Entry Name: Milepost north of Bridge 53, Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

Listing Date: 7 August 1997

Last Amended: 7 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18738

Building Class: Transport

Location: About 30m north of Bridge 53, The High Way.

County: Torfaen

Town: Pontypool

Community: New Inn

Community: New Inn

Locality: Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

Built-Up Area: Pontypool

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Pontypool

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford Jnr. as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed betwen 1809 and 1812, with William Crossley as engineer. Linked to the tramroads the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still in 1880 the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was abandoned finally in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964, and the canal is once again open between Pontymoile and Brecon with the title Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.

Exterior

A small cast iron mile post. An oval carries the number 9 1/4 (north of the beginning of the canal in Newport). Below this a small plaque on the post 'M C Co.', Monmouthshire Canal Company.

Reasons for Listing

Included as the only surviving undamaged mile marker during the still functioning canal's run in Torfaen Borough.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.