History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone opposite Bryn goleu

A Grade II Listed Building in Pentir, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1814 / 53°10'53"N

Longitude: -4.1305 / 4°7'49"W

OS Eastings: 257720

OS Northings: 367044

OS Grid: SH577670

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.3K4C

Mapcode Global: WH54F.J99D

Entry Name: Milestone opposite Bryn goleu

Listing Date: 22 September 1997

Last Amended: 22 September 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18905

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located on the verge of the road from Pentir to Caernarfon.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Bangor

Community: Pentir

Community: Pentir

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Tregarth

History

Milestones were erected in the early C19 along the turnpiked road leading to Caernarfon. This milestone however was omitted from the 1st edition OS map Caernarvon XI.8 of 1889, and has been relocated here some metres from its original site c1914 when the road was straightened.

Exterior

A monolithic slate slab with chamfered top corners, deeply incised with the inscription CARNARVON 7 MILES / LLANDDEINIOLEN 2 1/4 / FELINHEN 1 1/4 / BETHESDA 4.

Reasons for Listing

Included as one of the few well preserved and legible milestones along this road.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Cedol
    The church stands at the end of the village, within its churchyard.
  • II Capel y Gladdfa (Cemetery Chapel)
    The chapel is located immediately outside the N boundary of the churchyard of the Church of St Cedol, at the N end of the village.
  • II Pont-y-felin
    Located 350m N of the village centre, at the crossing of the Afon Cegin, and immediately S of the Y-junction of roads to Y Felinheli and Minffordd.
  • II Pant-y-Cyff
    Situated in pasture fields at end of short farm track off the south-east side of the B 4366; low rubblestone wall with stone-on-edge coping in front of farmhouse.
  • II Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Detached barn outside Yard to E
    This barn lies in the field immediately E of the enclosed yard, and S of the house.
  • II Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Cartshed and Granary
    The farm comprises a large rectangular enclosed yard, with house backing on to its NE corner to face E. The granary and cartshed building forms N section of E range of yard, built corner to corner wi
  • II Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Cattle Sheds at SE of Yard
    1km NW of the village of Pentir, on the S side of the lane from Pentir towards Y Felinheli. The farm comprises a large rectangular enclosed yard, with the house backing on to its NE corner to face E.
  • II Ty'n Llwyn Farm - Bothy and Bakehouse Range to NE of Yard
    1km NW of village of Pentir, on S side of lane from Pentir towards Y Felinheli. The farm comprises a large rectangular enclosed yard, with the house backing on to its NE corner to face E. This range

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.