This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2075 / 53°12'27"N
Longitude: -3.1293 / 3°7'45"W
OS Eastings: 324672
OS Northings: 368424
OS Grid: SJ246684
Mapcode National: GBR 70.1VS3
Mapcode Global: WH76Z.XM1X
Entry Name: Lislea House
Listing Date: 11 September 1998
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 20519
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the S of Northop Church in a large garden.
Community: Northop (Llaneurgain)
Built-Up Area: Northop
Traditional County: Flintshire
Vicarage of 1826, which replaced an earlier one further E along Church Street. The Ordnance Survey of 1870 shows that the house was more extensive to the rear, with a number of service ranges. A stone and brick wall in the garden appears to have been connected with these. Following reduction, a new staircase bay was added to the rear of the house in the 1950s along with other alterations.
Two-storey 3-window vicarage in classical style. Stucco elevations under a hipped slate roof with 2 rendered ridge stacks. Detail includes deep soffited eaves with bosses, stone plinth and recessed hornless sash windows with flat heads and stone sills. Garden (S) front has a central full-height canted bay. This projects further to the ground floor beneath a modillion cornice. It has a full-height tripartite bay window to the front which is 6-over-9-panes to the centre. The elevation has 3-over-6-pane sashes to the upper floor and 6-over-6-pane sashes to the ground floor flanking the canted bay. The W elevation is 2-window, the sashes as front, but the R upper window is blind and painted. The E elevation is also 2-window and contains the entrance to the R; round-arched opening with panelled door and fanlight, with 3-over-6-pane sash above. To the L is a similar round arched opening with window opening above, both of which are blind. The house has undergone alteration and reduction to the rear (N). Round-arched horned sash window to L of ground floor. To the centre is a 2-storey brick staircase projection with C20 stairlight of 3-over-6-panes. Similar but smaller window to L of projection, and eaves stack to R. To the ground floor is a brick flat-roofed extension which is almost full-width with C20 glazing.
The interior of the house underwent alterations in the mid-C20; the position of the original staircase is not clear but could have been to the SE. The E entrance leads into a lobby with a stained glass window to R and a door to L leading into the study. Straight ahead is a long hall, with dog-leg staircase in projection to R. The dining room is at the W end of the house with heavily moulded ceiling cornice and a grey stone fireplace. The central room with canted bay has a foliate frieze to ceiling cornice and a marble fireplace. Large rooms and wide panelled doors in moulded surrounds.
Listed as an early C19 vicarage in the form of a fine Regency villa.
Other nearby listed buildings