History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former National School and Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangefni, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2569 / 53°15'24"N

Longitude: -4.3156 / 4°18'56"W

OS Eastings: 245629

OS Northings: 375827

OS Grid: SH456758

Mapcode National: GBR HNQ2.V8N

Mapcode Global: WH42T.PD5J

Entry Name: Former National School and Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 16 October 1998

Last Amended: 16 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20550

Building Class: Education

Location: In an elevated location, set back from the NE side of the western end of the main street through Llangefni; c. 200m SW of the church of St. Cyngar.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Built-Up Area: Llangefni

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llangefni

History

National school and schoolhouse built in 1851-2 to replace the earlier school of 1818, which by then had fallen into a state of disrepair and was in a dangerous state, the school being held in the town hall. In January 1850 Reverend Henry Owen was appointed to the incumbency at Llangefni and by September had forwarded a memorial to the Committee of the Council of Education requesting aid to build a new school. In the same month it was announced that plans were being made to build a British School on land donated by Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley. Faced with requests from both schools, the secretary of the Committee, R.R.W Lingen, ruled that local circumstances did not warrant the establishment of two schools and urged both parties to come to some agreement to build a single school to serve the town. Throughout the following year there were a series of heated debates and meetings held, with R.R.W. Lingen putting forward suggestions for comprises to be made by either party to allow plans for a single school to be considered. Finally, in December 1851, he agreed to award grants to both parties and the National School was opened on 29th September 1852 (the British School opened in the June of that year); designed by Henry Kennedy, Architect of Bangor and built at a cost of £800, the Treasury Grant awarded £229. Both schools were to suffer a shortage of funds but requests for further grants were rejected by Lingen; Reverend Owen was able to claim a grant of £70 from the National Society. The schoolmasters house is now a private dwelling, the school itself used to accommodate workshops.

Exterior

Mid C19 National school building with attached 2-storey schoolhouse. The school and schoolhouse were built as one range, the principal (SW) elevation of the schoolhouse facing the street. The school was accommodated in a staggered wing of 2-units; one unit (the infants classroom) was formed by a cross wing at the right (SE) end of the schoolhouse, the second (girls and boys classrooms) by a wing set at right angles to the rear. Entry to the girls and infants classrooms was through a lobby between schoolhouse and infants classroom, entry to the boys classroom through a gabled porch at the NE end of the rear wing. The range is faced with local rubble set roughly to courses and freestone dressings; steeply pitched slate roofs with stone copings and ashlar stacks (the schoolhouse with brick gable stack corbelled out at left (NW) end, and axial stack. The school has horned sash windows throughout (some of which are now boarded over); the infants classroom has large gable windows with ventilations slits above (SW gable with corbelled chimney); right return (SE elevation) has 2 x 4-pane sashes. The girls and boys classrooms each have tripartite windows of 8-pane sashes, the girls classroom, to the left (SW) with the window set in an advanced gabled wing; corbelled chimney above. The NE porch has a steeply pitched gabled roof, entry through boarded double doors set under a segmental-headed fanlight. The schoolhouse is a 2-storey, 4-window range with doorway offset to the left (NW) end; 1st floor windows are 2-pane, side hung casements.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved mid C19 school and schoolhouse range, designed in a strong vernacular idiom, and which retains the practical character of its design, as well as many exterior features. The range is also of interest as a lesser known work by Henry Kennedy.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St. Cyngar
    Set back from the NW side of the B5111 Lon Las at the N end of Llangefni. The church is in an elevated location within grounds to the N of the Afon Cefni.
  • II Gates and arch to Church of St. Cyngar
    Located at the entrance to the churchyard and c. 25m ESE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II The Market Hotel
    Located on the N side of Bulkeley Square, directly opposite the Bull Hotel.
  • II The Bull Hotel, including stable courtyard to rear.
    Located at the SW corner of Bulkeley Square with side elevation to Glanhwfa Road.
  • II Town Clock
    Set directly in front of the Town Hall, at the S side of Bulkeley Square in the centre of Llangefni.
  • II Town Hall
    Located at the S side of Bulkeley Square, and set back from the main street in the centre of Llangefni; c.400m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II Doldir
    About half way down the road, to N (L) of Capel Moriah.
  • II County Court
    Set back slightly from the W side of Glanhwfa Road, directly opposite the War Memorial to the front of the Shire Hall.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.