This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8762 / 51°52'34"N
Longitude: -3.232 / 3°13'55"W
OS Eastings: 315287
OS Northings: 220458
OS Grid: SO152204
Mapcode National: GBR YW.RYSC
Mapcode Global: VH6CF.X3RH
Entry Name: Green Drive Lodge
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20639
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Isolated house approximately 200m NNE of Llangynidr Bridge set back from E side of road.
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine (Llanfihangel Cwm Du gyda Bwlch a Chathedin)
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine
Built-Up Area: Llangynidr
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Mid C19 and probably designed by Robert Lugar for Joseph Bailey on the former Penmyarth Estate. Penmyarth was purchased by Bailey in 1831 as an extension of Glanusk Park on the S side of the river Usk. Glanusk Park had been purchased in 1825, where Lugar designed the house and lodges. Green Drive Lodge is at the W edge of the park, but the drive served both Penmyarth Park and Gliffaes, where landscape gardens were laid out by William West c1845.
Picturesque-style lodge of one-and-a-half storeys and 2 windows, of snecked, rock-faced sandstone with bigger quoins, and slate, half-hipped roof. A central ridge stack has 2 diagonal shafts. To front is a bay forward on R having a 3-light mullioned and transomed canted bay window, above which is a C20 casement in original opening. To L is a 2-light casement window with hood mould under a canopy The canopy has a catslide roof supported on 2 monoliths, each hewn to resemble logs. The front doorway is in short side wall of advanced bay and has a wooden frame with elliptical arch under a hood mould and a boarded and ribbed door. The L end wall has a C20 casement inserted in earlier opening in the lower storey, and above a 2-light casement window with hood mould. The R end wall has a lean-to attached. Behind is a single-storey projection with a 2-light window similar to main elevation, and behind projection is an additional single-storey projection added late C20.
Not inspected at time of survey (August 1997).
An integral component of the surviving C19 buildings of the Glanusk Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings