This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8423 / 51°50'32"N
Longitude: -3.1011 / 3°6'4"W
OS Eastings: 324237
OS Northings: 216536
OS Grid: SO242165
Mapcode National: GBR F2.V1DR
Mapcode Global: VH78Z.6YFL
Entry Name: South Stable and Service Block at Glangrwyne Court
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Last Amended: 19 November 1998
Source ID: 20850
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On NW side of house with a courtyard on N side.
Community: The Vale of Grwyney (Cwm Grwyne)
Community: The Vale of Grwyney
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Glangrwyne Court was built early C19 by Charles Craycroft. The Stable and Service Block is contemporary with Craycroft's house, its present form being shown on the 1839 Tithe map. Minor additions were made later C19 (shown on 1888 OS map) and a porte cochere was added C20. The buildings contained cottages, stables and coach house.
Formed by 3 wings around a partly cobbled courtyard. A central coach house wing faces S and has a cross wing forward on the L (with gabled projection behind), and a shorter wing forward on the R (which attached garden wall behind). Two storeys, of rubble stone (covered by scribed roughcast to cross wing and part of coach house) and slate roof. The coach house has an added gabled porte cochere to the centre with a tile roof on round cast iron piers. Behind the porte cochere is a gabled bay projecting slightly forward with angle pilasters of dressed stone, boarded double doors, and a plain pediment of coursed stone which has a lunette with thin voussoirs and a stressed keystone. The central bay is flanked by a blind oculus to L and an oculus in a brick surround to R. At the L end is a boarded door with 3-pane overlight, at the R end a doorway with replaced overlight. The cross wing incorporates 2 cottages and a cart shed. It has lower storey openings under segmental heads, comprising 2 boarded and ribbed doors flanked by small-pane iron-framed casements, with a wide cart shed doorway at the L end having similar double doors. In the upper storey is a central 2-light casement under the wall plate flanked by small-pane iron-frame casements under gablets. The stable wing to R has a boarded door under a wide segmental brick arch facing the yard, and in its gable end an inserted doorway lower L under a brick segmental head, and 2 small-pane iron-frame casements above. The E wall of the wing, facing the garden, has a lunette upper R.
At the rear, facing the N service court, is a late C19 lean-to on the L (E) side. The central wing has a stable door to the R under a 2-pane overlight and segmental head, and a boarded loft opening above it. To the L is another loft opening. The cross wing has boarded double doors in its rear gable end under a stone segmental head, and with an oculus above it. Attached to the R (W) side of the cross wing is a late C19 projection under a hipped roof, open to the rear.
Not inspected at time of survey (December 1997).
Included for group value with Glangrwyne Court.
Other nearby listed buildings