This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7683 / 51°46'5"N
Longitude: -3.2911 / 3°17'27"W
OS Eastings: 311004
OS Northings: 208521
OS Grid: SO110085
Mapcode National: GBR YT.ZVNR
Mapcode Global: VH6CS.WTZ9
Entry Name: Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including vestry
Listing Date: 1 March 1999
Last Amended: 15 May 2001
Source ID: 21431
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in small graveyard opposite a terrace of houses.
Community: Rhymney (Rhymni)
Built-Up Area: Rhymney
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel built in 1846 and remodelled in 1906 for a congregation of more than 900. The first Ebenezer chapel was the first in Rhymney, built 1807 on land donated by the ironworks. Extended in 1821 after the appointment of its first full time minister, the revivalist, the Rev. John Bowen. In 1846, the old chapel was converted to houses and the present one built at the other side of the graveyard. The 1906 rebuilding included the addition of the vestry. During the period between the wars, the chapel was a popular venue for concerts and penny readings intended to attract new members, and the demountable stage that covers the big seat is still there. Also known as 'the Twyn', it was here that 'Islwyn' applied for the right to minister at Babell.
Chapel of 1846 with lateral front remodelled in 1906. Rock-faced coursed Pennant stone with Forest of Dean grey ashlar dressings. Slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Three-bay, 2-storey lateral facade with gabled wider centre bay. Arched windows in ashlar flush surrounds with keystones, two to centre first floor, one each floor slightly shorter to sides. First floor has 4 Ionic pilasters, part fluted on moulded string course broken forward at centre bay. Gable has no base moulding but there are short cornice sections over flanking pilasters. In gable a keyed blank roundel and flush band above. Ground floor has rusticated quoins and ashlar centre bay with side pilasters, cornice with 'Ebenezer' inscribed in frieze. Heavily moulded arch to centre door with mouldings continued outward as impost band. Panelled spandrels have date inscriptions. Double 6-panel doors with fanlight over, radiating bars and coloured margins. Door has ashlar jambs and is flanked by small windows with coloured glass margins. Rock-faced stone forecourt wall with stone piers and iron railings.
Side walls rendered with 2 flat-headed windows on upper floor (blocked in below) and two windows flank lean-to extension for organ. Simple gabled vestry with four flat head windows on long wall.
Fine and theatrical interior of 1906 with all joinery in pitch pine. Pulpit on rear wall, with very large organ recess behind. Pulpit platform and great seat are exceptionally broad. Both are panelled. Straight stairs to platform, balustraded with heavy, turned newel posts, shorter similar balusters to platform rail. Panelled pulpit with canted angles and heavy moulded cornices above and below. Behind pulpit broad panelled base of the organ with three-bay pipe-front above in minimal Gothic frame. Massive segmental arch with keystone breaking into a broad frieze with an acanthus leaf panel each end over large and part-fluted pilasters.
Three sided panelled gallery with curved corners and centre clock. Long horizontal panels are alternated by broad piers with applied panels. Bracketed cornice below, on eight fluted iron columns with foliate heads including a star motif. Panelled pews are canted around pulpit and slightly raked on the ground floor. Curved and raked gallery pews. Two upper windows on rear wall. Two doors and two windows with coloured glass to lobby.
Ceiling has cornice, deep cove, panelled plaster border, and main part with slatted border, slatted bands across corners and thin ribs into centre. Ornamental ceiling rose.
Windows have stucco moulded hoods. Wall mounted gasoliers and ventilation boxes still remain.
Listed for its architectural interest as a chapel with a well-designed classical refronting of 1906 and complete interior of the same date.
Other nearby listed buildings