This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7747 / 51°46'28"N
Longitude: -3.294 / 3°17'38"W
OS Eastings: 310818
OS Northings: 209236
OS Grid: SO108092
Mapcode National: GBR YT.ZFKK
Mapcode Global: VH6CS.VNGD
Plus Code: 9C3RQPF4+VC
Entry Name: Rhymney House Hotel
Listing Date: 23 July 1973
Last Amended: 15 May 2001
Source ID: 13549
Building Class: Recreational
Location: On the main thoroughfare N of Rhymney town, SE of Rhymney Bridge and due E of Bute Town, set slightly above the road in a terraced garden.
Community: Rhymney (Rhymni)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Union Ironworks was established in the area in 1800 - remains survive in the field to S. In 1803 the majority share was taken by the Crawshays of Cyfarthfa, Benjamin Hall and Watkin George, and the works was expanded c1804 by the opening of a new furnace in Rhymney. The works passed in 1810 to Benjamin Hall who carried out further improvements. In 1825 the Bute Ironworks was established across the river to S and in 1837 the sites were amalgamated to form the Rhymney Iron Company. Rhymney House was built c1801 as the Manager's residence on ground leased from the Duke of Beaufort. In 1834 it was the site of an attack by 'The Scotch Cattle', bands of disaffected workers disguised with horned head-dresses, blackened faces and draped in skins, protesting against working conditions and practices. Richard Johnson was manager at this time. 'Herds' came from Rhymney, Sirhowy, Tredegar and Dowlais but a public hanging in Blackwood in 1830 diverted activity into the Chartist movement. Plaque in church records Henry Trump (d 1895) of Rhymney House as manager of Rhymney Ironworks and was for many years home of Maddox family. Later became the Ffynnon Glas, Cristals, the Three Counties Club and currently the Rhymney House Hotel. Formerly the house stood in ornamental grounds with a large kitchen garden and adjacent coach-house and stables.
Large detached house. Of rendered stone with hipped Welsh slate roof incorporating 3 hipped roof dormers, overhanging eaves. 2 storeys and attic, 3 window range formerly of 12 pane sashes now replaced. On ground floor were formerly two tripartite sash windows, now replaced, one each side of projecting flat-roofed central porch. Two window range to side.
Interior has been totally refurbished to create a Tudor-style inn. Reputed to retain a cast iron roof structure, as in adjacent farmhouse. Described as originally comprising: on the ground floor - drawing, dining and breakfast rooms, kitchen, school room and offices; on the first floor - 4 large bedrooms and bathroom.
Retained on list notwithstanding substantial exterior and interior alterations for its key position on the site of the earliest ironworks in Rhymney and its important connections with the Rhymney Iron Company. Group value with Old Furnace Farm adjacent to N.
Other nearby listed buildings