This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8585 / 51°51'30"N
Longitude: -4.1015 / 4°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 255374
OS Northings: 219857
OS Grid: SN553198
Mapcode National: GBR DQ.T599
Mapcode Global: VH4J1.VKK3
Entry Name: Dryslwyn-fawr Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 May 1999
Last Amended: 19 May 1999
Source ID: 21746
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: To the west side of the B4297 about 500m south of Dryslwyn Castle. Approached through a large farmyard surrounded by the buildings of the C19 model farm.
Community: Llanarthney (Llanarthne)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A late-C18 farmhouse on the Cawdor estate. The house and most of its farmland is in Llangathen Parish. The date 1786 is found inside and may be reliable.
David Griffiths (1797-1869), who was recorded as the tenant in 1839 and 1847, was probably the tenant under whom Dryslwyn-fawr became regarded as a model farm for the Cawdor estate.
A symmetrical three-window farmhouse of three storeys, with a later additional two-storey range of two windows at left with a roof at slightly lower level. Single storey brick range leads forward into yard from left-hand extension. Rendered at front. The side and rear elevations are of uncoursed rubble. Slate roofs with tile ridge. Left end-chimney to the original part and an end-chimney to the additional unit, both rendered. At rear are several large extensions under catslide roofs. Modern rooflights at rear. At the front is an open porch with timber posts and a dentilled beam with an apron of coloured glass. Four-pane horned sash windows to the original part. Twelve-pane sash windows to the additional unit, including two at rear which are in brick-lined openings. The front door to the additional part is boarded, with transom and two-pane overlight.
The original part has a central entrance with hallway leading to stairs at rear. Turned balusters. The position of the stairs is altered, but the date 1786 is carved on a beam over them.
A good example of a gentry type estate farmhouse, and the centrepiece of a remarkably well preserved and complete model farmstead.
Other nearby listed buildings