This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6994 / 51°41'57"N
Longitude: -3.1343 / 3°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 321703
OS Northings: 200686
OS Grid: SO217006
Mapcode National: GBR J0.40BN
Mapcode Global: VH6D8.MKC2
Entry Name: Former Colliery Workmen’s Institute
Listing Date: 26 November 1999
Last Amended: 26 November 1999
Source ID: 22671
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Very prominently located off the E end of Meadow Street, dominating terraces of housing along valley bottom.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Community: Llanhilleth (Llanhiledd)
Built-Up Area: Llanhilleth
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built 1904. Following the closure of the local collieries, the building was reused as the local library, doctor’s surgery, and headquarters of Llanhilleth Football Club.
Simplified Dutch style, built of grey Pennant stone, with extensive red brick detail. Slate roof with two large ventilators to ridge. E end gable chimney of red brick; also low stack on S side. Two storeys, set on high basement. Entrance front (W) of five bays, divided by red brick pilaster-strips. Moulded brick stringcourses between storeys, also at sill and window-head levels. Moulded brick cornice with shaped gable above, divided into five bays by pilaster strips terminating in terracotta finials with anthemion detail. Between the pilasters, terracotta copings rising in concave stages to ball finial at apex. Clock in centre of gable, with brick surround. Basement and ground floor windows with C20 glazing, segmental heads, brick surrounds. Tall round arched first floor windows, brick surrounds and terracotta keystones: windows have been blocked. Centre bay has projecting square red brick porch rising to base of gable. Round arched openings to ground floor stage, with door facing W; windows to sides (door and windows all C20). Tall upper stage of porch has angle-pilasters, with small round windows set high up to each side. Moulded brick cornice. N side of six bays and three storeys. Pilaster strips and stringcourses as front. Windows as facade, the tall upper windows with smaller windows inserted. Similarly detailed S side: attached towards E end is lower four storey former caretaker’s house, now used as medical centre. House is of three narrow bays, rendered with brick detail to quoins, and window surrounds: C20 glazing. Slate roof and broad S end gable brick chimney stack.
Modernised interior. Large upper room with two-stage raised dais to rear: painted timber panelled fronts.
Listed, despite some alterations, as a well-designed and prominently located former colliery workmen’s hall, its detail and large size testament to the importance of the local coal industry during the Edwardian period.
Other nearby listed buildings