This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.527 / 51°31'37"N
Longitude: -3.2972 / 3°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 310109
OS Northings: 181699
OS Grid: ST101816
Mapcode National: GBR HS.H1C2
Mapcode Global: VH6DY.SWS8
Entry Name: Former Penuel Chapel
Listing Date: 31 January 2000
Last Amended: 31 January 2000
Source ID: 22826
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Just W of the village centre on higher ground, surrounded on 3 sides by graveyard.
Built-Up Area: Pentyrch
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1837. Former Baptist Chapel. Alterations to fabric suggest some remodelling perhaps from an original long wall facade. Converted to house late C20.
Small chapel of limewashed rubble with brick dressings to windows, Welsh slate roof with boarded eaves. Side elevation faces road with 3 long narrow round-headed sash windows with narrow glazing bars, multipane margin glazing, stone sills, ventilator grilles beneath; 2 smaller round-headed blocked windows also visible. At gable end W is a gabled porch with double doors in side walls and round headed window in gable; to main building similar round-headed windows to sides and smaller central window over porch, plaque above (currently removed) and blocked oculus in apex. Similar elevation facing graveyard shows some blocked features. Small single storey Sunday School/vestry wing to rear has doorway with voussoirs.
Interior under conversion; plan of W end open to roof and inserted floor at gallery level retaining cast iron piers.
Included as a simple early C19 chapel retaining a largely unaltered exterior with tall round-headed windows.
Other nearby listed buildings