This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.528 / 51°31'40"N
Longitude: -3.2924 / 3°17'32"W
OS Eastings: 310442
OS Northings: 181803
OS Grid: ST104818
Mapcode National: GBR HS.GVZR
Mapcode Global: VH6DY.WV9H
Entry Name: The King's Arms Public House
Listing Date: 31 January 2000
Last Amended: 31 January 2000
Source ID: 22827
Building Class: Recreational
Location: In the centre of Pentyrch village on rising ground just NE of the church, slightly set back from road.
Built-Up Area: Pentyrch
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably C18. Interior suggests an original downhill house or inn unit with former stable/byre/hayloft at upper level built into hillside now incorporated into PH. Further extended in C20 on downhill side. Formerly named Cae Colman.
Public house. Of rendered stone with painted surrounds, Welsh slate roof with end stack right. Long frontage has a 5-window range of 6/6 horned sashes with narrow stone sills, the two to right unit closer set at lower level; ground floor has casements of diminishing size as ground level rises; similarly the plinth; doorway into right unit has small gabled porch and boarded door. Building appears to retain original render and probably original roof structure.
Main small bar in right unit retains open fireplace with bake oven and timber lintel possibly resited, deep shelved recess to right, tall settle, some panelled reveals, ceiling with one cross beam and wide floorboards set on close set joists above; flag floor. Second fireplace with chamfered beam in adjacent room dated 1711. Long uphill range formerly divided.
Included as a historic village inn retaining much of its original fabric in central village position; group value with church and lychgate.
Other nearby listed buildings