History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bandstand

A Grade II Listed Building in Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5875 / 51°35'15"N

Longitude: -3.7715 / 3°46'17"W

OS Eastings: 277371

OS Northings: 189116

OS Grid: SS773891

Mapcode National: GBR H4.C827

Mapcode Global: VH5H1.LC1C

Entry Name: Bandstand

Listing Date: 28 April 2000

Last Amended: 28 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23258

Building Class: Recreational

Location: Located along the main avenue beyond the war memorial.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Port Talbot

Community: Port Talbot

Community: Port Talbot

Locality: Talbot Road

Built-Up Area: Port Talbot

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Port Talbot

History

In 1918 Emily Charlotte Talbot of Margam Park donated a field in the town as a memorial for the dead of the 1st World War (1914-18). The park was laid out in its present form in 1925-6 having cost £13,000.

Exterior

Octagonal bandstand with cast iron columns supporting a domed roof with cupola. Low red brick plinth with concrete coping continuing as floor. Four concrete steps to W side, bounded by replaced red brick walls with short square end piers. Eight ornate circular columns with bases as vases with foliate decoration in relief, rings and beading, and with foliated voluted capitals. The columns are supported on high fluted and ringed pedestals, between which are panels of cast iron openwork railings. These are decorated with scrollwork and flower bosses, with squares to the dog rails. The columns support segmental-arched cast iron panels with scrollwork and flowers in the spandrels. Pendant finials to centres of arches. The eaves project and are partially supported by brackets at right angles to the arched panels and in the same style. The domed roof is lead covered to the exterior and timber boarded to the underside. Small centrally-placed ceiling rose with scrolled decoration. Moulded cast iron eaves with raised open scrollwork and tall finials at the angles. The lead-covered cupola, a smaller dome, is surrounded by an openwork cast iron frieze and supports a weather vane.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a little altered example, with fine detail, of an increasingly scarce building type. Group value with other features in the park.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Fountain in Honour of John Hopkin Davies
    Located to the E of the main avenue and behind the war memorial.
  • II* War Memorial
    The focal point of the memorial park, in the centre of the main avenue.
  • II* Church of St Theodore
    Set within a rectangular walled churchyard, with memorial park to the R and vicarage and mission room to the L.
  • II Lodge 1, Talbot Memorial Park
    One of two matching lodges which are mirror images of each other. Adjoining the W end of the gateway to the park.
  • II Lodge 2, Talbot Memorial Park
    One of two matching lodges which are mirror images of each other. Adjoining the E end of the gateway to the park.
  • II Gateway to Talbot Memorial Park
    Fronting Talbot Road and with flanking lodges.
  • II Carnegie Free Library
    Set back from the N side of the road behind a low forecourt wall of rock-faced grey stone with square capstones, those flanking the entrance with gabled faces.
  • II Dyffryn Chapel
    Located at the S end of Ffrwdwyllt Cottages on the W side of the entrance road to the steelworks.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.