This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5373 / 51°32'14"N
Longitude: -3.7258 / 3°43'32"W
OS Eastings: 280404
OS Northings: 183456
OS Grid: SS804834
Mapcode National: GBR H6.G7KG
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.CMPC
Plus Code: 9C3RG7PF+WM
Entry Name: Ty'n y Cellar and adjoining Barn
Listing Date: 25 April 2000
Last Amended: 25 April 2000
Source ID: 23291
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from Water Street at the junction of a lane which leads to Kenfig Industrial Estate.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Town: Port Talbot
Locality: Water Street
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The farm formerly belonged to the Margam estate and is shown on a survey of 1814, where a long range represents the house and barn. Shown in much the same form as today on the 1st edition Ordnance survey of 1876. Between 1876 and 1897 the farm was modernised and further buildings were added around a new layout. The farm may originally have been connected with Margam Abbey. The name Cellar refers to the manager of a monastery, and this may have been his residence. The farm was referred to as The Cellar in 1692.
The front of the house faces E, away from the farmyard, and has a rear wing and a late C20 extension to the N. The front has been remodelled in snecked stone, whilst the remainder is of rubble stone, all under red pan-tile roofs. Brick end stacks to main range and rear wing. Symmetrical front with central gabled porch with flat-headed opening leading to a half-lit front door. Small 2-light casement window above. The flanking bays have gabled half-dormers containing tall 2-light casements with lying panes under stone lintels. Similar windows below. The late C20 extension is in a similar style, but is lower with 2 full gabled dormers. French doors and a window to ground floor. The rear of the house has a lean-to porch between the rear wing and a lean-to against the barn. It contains double planked doors. The S side of the rear wing has a planked door to the L, a 2-light casement window in the centre under a voussoir head and 2 windows to the upper storey with flat stone lintels. Small light in W gable end. Lean-to on N side with a C20 window, formerly a door.
Adjoining the S side of the house is a 5-bay rubble stone barn under a slate roof with a blocked opening to the house and 2 further blocked openings. Porch to W side, 2nd bay from L, leading to a cart-passage. The porch has a catslide roof and full-height double planked doors. Long lean-to to L (now part of house) with catslide roof and rendered front with a truncated brick stack. Two-light UPVC window to the S side. To the R of the porch are 2 ventilation slits, one blocked, and a row of 3 recesses. Planked loft hatch to S gable end with 2 ventilation slits below. The E side of the barn has lower double planked doors under a flat arch of voussoirs. Flanked by 2 ventilation slits to the L and one to the R infilled with brick.
The barn has a simple collar-truss roof which is not original to the structure. Loft to N of cart-passage supported on cross beams. No access to house at time of inspection (29/7/99).
Listed as the nucleus of a planned Victorian farm. The unaltered barn of earlier date is of additional interest. Group value with other farm buildings at Ty'n y Cellar.
Other nearby listed buildings