This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5374 / 51°32'14"N
Longitude: -3.7264 / 3°43'35"W
OS Eastings: 280359
OS Northings: 183464
OS Grid: SS803834
Mapcode National: GBR H6.G7F2
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.CMB9
Plus Code: 9C3RG7PF+WC
Entry Name: Cart Shed, Stable and Cow-House at Ty'n y Cellar
Listing Date: 25 April 2000
Last Amended: 25 April 2000
Source ID: 23292
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The stable is located in the centre of the N side of the farm complex. Its NW angle is abutted by the L-shaped cow-house and cart shed, which enclose the cattle yard.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Town: Port Talbot
Locality: Water Street
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The stable is one of the earlier buildings at the farm, along with the additional cow-house and the barn adjoining the house. A small building shown to the W of the house and barn on a Margam estate survey of 1814 probably represents the stable. The stable is on the Ordnance Survey of 1876, but without the cow-house and cart shed. These had been added by 1897 as shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey.
The stable is of red rubble sandstone with quoins under a slate roof. It is orientated E-W and the front faces S. Central planked door under a wide shallow segmental head of voussoirs. Flanked by windows under similar heads which are horizontally hung, 4-over-6-pane to the L and partially boarded over to the R. Against the E gable end, an external stone staircase leads up to the loft. Planked door under a shallow segmental head of voussoirs. To the W gable end is a planked door under a flat head, possibly a later insertion. Boarded hatch in gable under a segmental head. A farm yard boundary wall extends S from the SW angle. To the L of the rear side is a stone lean-to under a corrugated roof. Stable doors into the side under a voussoir head, and 2 small windows to the front. Corrugated lean-to to the R.
The cow-house and cart shed form a continuous L-shaped range of snecked rock-faced stone under red pan-tiled roofs with boarded eaves. The cow-house faces S and the cart-shed E. The former has 2 doors, one to each end, stable doors under segmental stone voussoir heads. Between the doors are 2 multi-pane windows under similar heads. Five full-height openings to cart shed, 2 to the L which are open and 3 together to the R which are partially boarded. Various window openings to rear.
The stable has 4 stalls separated by timber partitions. Concrete partition wall to the L beyond which was a loose box. Cobbled floor and manger to rear. Wooden floor to loft above.
The cow-house has a collar truss roof, partially renewed, and a concrete floor. A passage runs along the front and there were formerly stalls behind orientated N-S. Manger along rear wall.
Listed as an unaltered component of a planned Victorian farm, the stable having earlier origins. Group value with house and other farm buildings at Ty'n y Cellar.
Other nearby listed buildings