This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8279 / 51°49'40"N
Longitude: -3.1239 / 3°7'25"W
OS Eastings: 322645
OS Northings: 214959
OS Grid: SO226149
Mapcode National: GBR F1.W1R6
Mapcode Global: VH6CP.SBW3
Entry Name: Barn and Cowhouse Range at Ty-uchaf
Listing Date: 27 July 2000
Last Amended: 27 July 2000
Source ID: 23806
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Ty-uchaf is located some 0.5 km NW of Llanelly Church. Reached at end of short lane leading past Pen-y-wern, off by-road. House occupies N side of sloping farmyard, with barn range to S across pitch
Community: Llanelly (Llanelli)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Probably C17, but some of the roof trusses are earlier reused cruck-trusses, possibly from an older farmhouse, before the present one was built in the early C17. Long downslope lofted cowhouse added probably in C18 or early C19, such a date would be likely if the parlour range of the house is actually an early conversion of the byre and cross-passage to living accommodation, thus necessitating a new cowhouse. Marked on 1847 Tithe Map, when owner was Anne Lewis, the occupier, James Davies, and the extent of land, 76 acres (31 hectares).
Barn built into slope, with cowhouse in line to left. N elevation faces pitched stone yard. Rubble construction, with extensive traces of limewash. Corrugated iron roofs. Barn has massively battered walls. Similar N and S elevations. Central axial doors with timber lintels: only N side partially retains boarded doors. Short symmetrically arranged paired loops each side to two levels: lower loops set closer together. Straight joint between barn and cowhouse, to E. N elevation of cowhouse of four bays with four doorways stepped up with the rising ground, the centre two grouped closer together; cambered stone voussoired heads. Rear of cowhouse has upper loop to left. Ground floor has door to left, and three small windows to right. To W, also in line is later implement store, three bays, the upper two with heightened eaves and lower roof-pitch: two wide openings to N with central brick and stone pillar.
Barn has stone-paved threshing floor. Roof of five bays, the principal morticed into the tie-beams, strengthened by raking queen-posts; pegged collars and triple purlins. Most of the trusses are clearly reused, some being cut-down crucks. Original E gable of barn now visible from cowhouse: window with plain dripmould. Upper part of cowhouse has loft on four massive reused beams, one with post-holes.
Listed as well-preserved large C17 barn, with added lofted cowhouse. Roof structure includes earlier reused trusses. Both barn and house form a remarkably unaltered group.
Other nearby listed buildings