This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8132 / 51°48'47"N
Longitude: -3.1195 / 3°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 322920
OS Northings: 213325
OS Grid: SO229133
Mapcode National: GBR F1.WWB2
Mapcode Global: VH6CP.WP6B
Entry Name: Pantglas Bridge
Listing Date: 27 July 2000
Last Amended: 27 July 2000
Source ID: 23812
Building Class: Transport
Location: Bridge is located over River Clydach carrying no-through road to remains of Clydach Ironworks, and Ynys-y-garth.
Community: Llanelly (Llanelli)
Built-Up Area: Clydach
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built in the early C19 to carry the horse-worked Llam-march tramroad from the Clydach Ironworks to the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal at Gilwern. Slightly later alterations, to provide deep splayed entries. The Llam-march tramroad was built from 1793 by John Dadford, engineer, connecting Clydach Ironworks to the collieries and iron ore mines at Llam-march, and was extended in 1809-11 to link with the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Gilwern, where ironworks erected a wharf in 1810.
The works probably begun in 1793, when a furnace was built, noted as the ‘new furnace’ in 1795. The land formed part of that leased by Edward and John Kendall from the Duke of Beaufort when the Beaufort Ironworks was set up: the Clydach Works was operated by Edward Frere and Thomas Cooke, with the Kendalls sharing the profits. The Duke of Beaufort forced a new lease in 1801, where Cooke and Frere formally subleased the site. In 1796, 1660 tons of iron was produced, and after a slump around 1803, the works produced 2658 tons in 1816. The business was offered for sale in 1813, described as having two furnaces with water-driven blast, and 600 acres (243 hectares). By now, the Clydach Iron Company had been formed, whose heavy investment resulted in debts of around £24,000. The works failed to sell, and by 1833 it was on the market again, with three furnaces. No purchasers were forthcoming, and by 1858, when loans were called in, the company was crippled by debt, closing in 1861. In 1864, the Clydach Sheet and Bar Iron Company bought the works for £6000, managed by John Jayne of Pantybeiliau, former truckmaster of Nantyglo. Sold to the Brynmawr Coal and Iron Company in 1873 for £220,000: they went into liquidation in 1877 and the works were then closed.
Rubble construction single-arch bridge. Segmental arch of broad span, stone voussoirs. Low parapet with cemented coping. Parapets skewed out at ends. NE corner of parapet has angled skewed parapet roughly corbelled out over abutment, which is a later addition, a joint clearly visible between this and the arch. SE abutment is also later, and is slightly stepped out from arch, curving back to form retaining wall of road. W side of bridge also shows signs of widening: the arched opening is set within a segmental arch which has stone voussoirs. SW corner of parapet is skewed out over iron lintel.
Listed as a well-preserved late C18 tramroad bridge of impressive span. Important history, being part of the Clydach Ironworks, the major industry in the area from 1793 - 1878. The bridge is a prominent survival of the important industrial landscape of the Clydach Gorge.
Other nearby listed buildings