This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2983 / 52°17'53"N
Longitude: -4.0444 / 4°2'39"W
OS Eastings: 260686
OS Northings: 268657
OS Grid: SN606686
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.X8V0
Mapcode Global: VH4FY.VH8G
Entry Name: Capel Bethel including vestry to left
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 15 August 2003
Source ID: 24023
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 200m E of the minor road through the centre of Trefenter.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel dated 1834 but remodelled in 1870 with possible exception of small-paned windows. Vestry/ schoolroom of 1910 linking chapel to chapel house of 1850.
Chapel and vestry in line. Chapel of rubble stone with unpainted render to front, slate roof and late C19 bargeboards. Plain long wall facade with 2 long arched windows and 2 outer doors. Windows are 18-pane with Gothick intersecting glazing bars in heads, doors have matching fanlights. Rubble stone right end wall. and rear wall with 3x12-pane sashes.
Vestry to left is lower, single storey short facade in rubble stone with yellow brick rusticated surrounds. Tall arched centre door between 2 arched windows. Four-panel door and plate glass fanlight. Rear has two 4-pane sash windows.
Interior without galleries. Plastered walls, later C19 pine pews in 3 blocks with shaped bench ends and roll-mould tops to doors. Lobbies in each corner with coloured and etched glass to side windows facing pulpit. Pulpit in centre of entrance wall with 3 sided set fawr around, all late C19. Set fawr has curved angles, squat turned balusters and heavy turned newels with acorn finials. Pulpit has big pitch-pine canted front with 3 carved arched panels of floral motifs. Book-rest on carved brackets. Curved short balustrades with turned newels matching set fawr, to platform each side and steps up. Arch-headed timber pulpit-back. plain plaster ceiling with moulded centre rose and 2 plain roundels.
Vestry has board ceiling, board dado and fireplace.
Included as as a long-wall chapel of the 1830s remodelled in 1870 and with its associated vestry.
Other nearby listed buildings