This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3069 / 52°18'24"N
Longitude: -4.0365 / 4°2'11"W
OS Eastings: 261254
OS Northings: 269597
OS Grid: SN612695
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.WYL4
Mapcode Global: VH4FY.Z8GV
Entry Name: Penglanowen Fawr
Listing Date: 15 August 2003
Last Amended: 15 August 2003
Source ID: 81763
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated at end of 150m track, N of minor road which runs E from Llangwyryfon-Trefenter road at Maesbeidiog to A485.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Small mid C19 model farm courtyard, with barn to rear, cowshed and stable ranges each side and house across upper end, itself converted from an outbuilding and raised a storey. A house marked on site on 1842 Tithe Map, not to present plan. Penglanowen farmed with Tynant in 1926 by D. Williams.
Farmhouse and courtyard of outbuildings, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs, whitewash eroded on farmbuildings. Farmhouse is in upper end range of buildings with barn across lower end, cowshed in left side range, stables and cartshed in shorter right range with entry to yard between upper gable end of right range and front of farmhouse.
Farmhouse is 2-storey raised a storey in late C19 or early C20 (see brick corners), with end-entry and 2 yellow-brick chimneys. Left end wall has C20 door in blocked cartshed with stone voussoirs, one window to right and 2 above, C20 windows. Front wall has 2-storey, 2-window range of 4-pane sashes, small upper ones under eaves, longer lower eaves with brick heads. Rear has 3 windows under eaves and 2 windows with brick heads below. Right end wall is rubble stone above attached single-storey whitewashed rubble range with roof hipped to right, where it joins lower roof of left side cowshed. This range has three full-height openings, the first with window and door inserted, the second broad with stone pier to right and third half-infilled up to corner with left side range. Lean-to on rear.
Left side, former byre has 3 doors stepped down slope each with stone voussoirs. Two windows alternated between with stone voussoirs, and one small window, possibly inserted, to right.
Barn at lower end has hipped slate roof taller than those of side ranges, elliptical-arched high-door entry to left of centre, 2 vent loops to right of centre and blocked door with stone voussoirs further right. Right end wall has window with stone voussoirs each floor. Lean-to on rear.
Right side stable and cartshed range has window, door, window, door to former stables to left, with stone voussoirs under eaves, the doors with 6-pane overlights and the windows divided by a stone-slab sill at mid height. The 2 cart entries to right have broad flattened elliptical arches with stone pier between. Right gable end has stepped coping.
Included as an unusual C19 formal farm-court, rare in the region.
Other nearby listed buildings