History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caerberis Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Cilmery, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1492 / 52°8'57"N

Longitude: -3.4173 / 3°25'2"W

OS Eastings: 303120

OS Northings: 251053

OS Grid: SO031510

Mapcode National: GBR YN.6LZJ

Mapcode Global: VH69Z.Q78Q

Entry Name: Caerberis Lodge

Listing Date: 21 December 2000

Last Amended: 21 December 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24486

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Immediately W of Irfon Bridge and opposite the entrance drive to Caerberis Manor. Set back behind the parapet wall of Irfon Bridge.

County: Powys

Community: Cilmery (Cilmeri)

Community: Cilmery

Locality: Caerberis

Built-Up Area: Builth Wells

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Maesmynis

History

Erected in the early C20 as the lodge to Caerberis Manor, and as an eye catcher beside the original Irfon Bridge, which was demolished c1936.

Exterior

A Jacobean style lodge on a steep riverbank site, comprising a main wing of one and a half storeys with its gable facing the front, behind which is a lower rear wing at right angles of 2 storeys, its lower storey level with the basement of the main wing. Rendered walls are enriched with timber framing, on a coursed rock-faced lower storey and plinth. The roofs are clay tiles with a brick stack to each wing.

The gable end facing the front has coursed rock-faced stone to the lower storey, with timber framing above, and windows with wooden mullions. It has a canted 3-light bay window in the lower storey and 2-light oriel above, the gable being supported by the bay window and projecting on end brackets. The entrance is in an outshut on the L side of the gable end and faces Golf Links Road. It has a porch with dwarf stone wall and fluted shaped wooden posts and hipped roof. Inside the porch is a half-lit panelled door. In the side wall is a V-shaped window on a scrolled bracket lighting the entrance hall, above which is a 2-light roof dormer. The rear wing projects in front of the outshut and has a 3-light mullioned window in its upper storey. On the R side the main wing has an external stone stack, with brick upper section, beyond which is a small casement. The rear wing projects forward but not as far as on the L side. In its lower storey is a 3-light window under a segmental stone head, while the upper storey has a 2-light oriel. The gable is timber framed. The rear, facing a small back yard, has a lean-to, to the R of which are rear window and boarded door under segmental brick heads.

Interior

A small entrance hall leads to stairs, which has flights up to attic of main range and the upper storey of the rear wing, and down to the basement of the main range and lower storey of the rear wing. The square moulded balusters and newels are similar to but simpler than the main stairs at Caerberis Manor. Panelled doors throughout.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a small Jacobean style lodge in a prominent location, and for group value with Caerberis Manor.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Builth Golf Club House
    Approximately 300m N of Irfon bridge.
  • II Caerberis Manor Hotel
    Situated within an enclosing loop of the River Irfon 1km SW of Builth Wells town centre and reached by private road S of the A483 immediately W of Irfon Bridge.
  • II Old Pendre
    Late eighteenth century farmhouse with earlier eighteenth century origins. Formerly known as 'Ystrad' as recorded on 1842 Tithe Map. Operated as farm until 1880's.
  • II Pen Graig Barn
    On corner of Hospital Road and Cnwc-y-Llo Road. Abutting large modern agricultural building. Aligned NW to SE.
  • II Sign Post at The Rocks
    Situated at the junction of minor roads some 1km W of Builth Wells.
  • II The Old Hall
    Opposite St Mary's churchyard.
  • II Horeb Congregational Church
    Set opposite parish church in small railed yard.
  • II The Old Hall
    Opposite St Mary's churchyard.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.