This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3225 / 53°19'20"N
Longitude: -3.3432 / 3°20'35"W
OS Eastings: 310629
OS Northings: 381455
OS Grid: SJ106814
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z30.0Q
Mapcode Global: WH769.MR79
Entry Name: Old Post Office
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25124
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the NW side of the church, its gable end abutting the churchyard wall
Traditional County: Flintshire
Mullioned windows in the gable end suggest a C17 origin for the house, which is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. It was altered in the final quarter of the C19 and is shown as a post office on the 1899 Ordnance Survey. The Post Office closed c1990.
A 2-storey 2-window house of rubble stone with bigger quoins, and slate roof with C19 brick stack to the L and C20 brick stack to the R. In the upper storey are 6-pane sash windows beneath wooden lintels and with stone sills. A similar window under a stone lintel is lower R, to the L of which is a boarded door in a doorway enlarged from an earlier doorway of which the R-hand jamb and part of a segmental head survive. Further L is an enlarged window (lighting the former post office) under a wooden lintel and an inserted boarded door at the L end.
The R gable end, facing the churchyard, has 2-light mullioned windows in both storeys. A rear wing offset to the R side of the house is set back from the gable end, and facing the churchyard has a 3-light window with iron bars under a concrete lintel. A lean-to is added to the gable end of the wing and has concrete pantiles. On the L side of the house is an added rear outshut.
Listed as a prominently-sited house retaining C19 character but with earlier origins, and for its contribution to the historic character of Llanasa.
Other nearby listed buildings