History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nant-yr-henglawdd farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangynog, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8285 / 52°49'42"N

Longitude: -3.4189 / 3°25'8"W

OS Eastings: 304497

OS Northings: 326610

OS Grid: SJ044266

Mapcode National: GBR 6M.TXP3

Mapcode Global: WH78S.G55F

Entry Name: Nant-yr-henglawdd farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 May 2003

Last Amended: 23 May 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81055

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: At west side of the Cwm Rhiweirth road, 1 km north-west of the villagre of Llangynog.

County: Powys

Community: Llangynog (LLangynog)

Community: Llangynog

Locality: Cwm Rhiweirth

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llangynog

History

Probably early C19. Nant-yr-henglawdd tenement was recorded in 1839 as the property of the Rev. W E Williams: homestead, fold and garden tenanted by John Morris with about 19 acres.

Exterior

A small farmhouse of two storeys in local uncoursed slate masonry with a slate roof and tile ridge. End-chimney at the right in slate. The house faces east and is connected by a small walled yard (with ruined pigsties) to the parallel agricultural range.

Two small windows above (pairs of casements with 12 panes, some surviving glazing bars), with cambered brick arches. Below are a boarded door at left and a 9-pane window also with cambered brick arches. Blank gable ends. Ruin of lean-to shed against the left gable wall.

Interior

Interior not seen.

Reasons for Listing

A minor late vernacular farmhouse which has retained its character, the house of a small upland farmstead; group value with its farm range.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Nant-yr-henglawdd farm range
    At front of Nant-yr-henglawdd farmhouse, parallel to the road.
  • II Pencraig
    To west of the Bala road about 1 km north-west of the village of Llangynog, reached by a farm track.
  • II Gwalia
    In School Terrace, Llangynog
  • II Church of St Cynog
    At centre of the village of Llangynog at edge of the river floodplain, in a raised churchyard enclosed by a tall wall with steps and iron gates to the south. Tablet of 1791 in wall at north of churchy
  • II Nant-yr-angell
    At south side of the road from Llangynog bridge to Rhyd-y-felin, about 1 km west of the bridge, set slightly back from the road.
  • II Llangynog Bridge
    To south of the village of Llangynog, carrying the B4391 aross the Afon Tanat.
  • II Llechwedd-y-garth
    At the north-east side of Cwm Pennant, 1 km east of St Melangell's church. Long private drive to house from Llangynog.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.