This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3885 / 51°23'18"N
Longitude: -3.3513 / 3°21'4"W
OS Eastings: 306066
OS Northings: 166360
OS Grid: ST060663
Mapcode National: GBR HP.RRR0
Mapcode Global: VH6FP.VCNF
Plus Code: 9C3R9JQX+9F
Entry Name: Rhoose Council School
Listing Date: 30 September 2004
Last Amended: 30 September 2004
Source ID: 83160
Building Class: Education
Location: In the centre of Rhoose village opposite the Police Station.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Rhoose (Y Rhws)
Built-Up Area: Rhoose
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1931 (inscription) and probably designed by D Pugh Jones, Glamorgan County Education Architect. One of an impressive series of Glamorgan Council schools of the period.
Built of red and orange brick with Portland stone dressings and Welsh slate roofs with red ridge tiles. Single storey with plan of two quadrangles divided by the Hall which runs back directly behind the main front range which is parallel with the street. The main elevation is a balanced design with central entrance block, set back wings and projecting end pavilions which are the gable ends of the side ranges. The entrance has a stone portico with paired Tuscan columns supporting an entablature with the inscription RHOOSE COUNCIL SCHOOL, above is a coat-of-arms with the date 1931. Behind the portico are stone framed double doors flanked by 6 over 6 pane sashes. Hipped roof above with the top of the hall gable showing behind. The flanking ranges have red brick walls in stretcher bond with an orange brick plinth separated by a white painted cill band. Twelve 6 over 6 pane sashes under a modillion cornice. The pavilions have three 6 over 9 sashes with a modillioned cornice pedimental gable. Roofs with various brick stacks. The side elevations have fourteen windows arranged slightly unevenly and slightly differently on the east and west sides. The windows are 6 over 6 pane sashes but with a 3 pane transom above. Modillion eaves cornice. Ranges across the rear with hipped ends and gabled hall down the centre forming two courtyards.
Interior not inspected at resurvey. Standard plan with offices, hall and library in the centre spine and the classrooms arranged round the edge facing outwards with corridors onto the courtyards.
Included as a well designed and little altered Council School from the 1930s.
Other nearby listed buildings