This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9117 / 54°54'41"N
Longitude: -1.388 / 1°23'16"W
OS Eastings: 439330
OS Northings: 557610
OS Grid: NZ393576
Mapcode National: GBR VBS.5Z
Mapcode Global: WHD55.NT70
Entry Name: Former North Eastern Railway Stables
Listing Date: 22 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031895
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489789
Location: Sunderland, SR5
Electoral Ward/Division: Southwick
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Monkwearmouth Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Durham
920-1/0/0 EASINGTON STREET
Former North-Eastern Railway Stables
Railway stables. 1883-84, altered c. 1930. Designed by William Bell for the North-Eastern Railway Co. Ltd.. Red brick with blue brick and ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. All openings have ashlar lintels.
Entrance fa?ade has 11 window, 2 storey central section flanked by single storey 11 window wings. Large central archway has segmental red brick arch with ashlar and blue brick dressings. Over central arch a moulded ashlar eaves band and above a dormer with a circular window and a half-hipped roof with decorative barge-boards. Arch has cast iron wheel buffers at base. Either side are 8 stable windows with ashlar lintels above a continuous blue brick band. Upper floor has 5 larger stable window openings to either side, also with ashlar lintels and also linked by a continuous blue brick band.
Inner fa?ade has similar central archway topped with similar dormer. Either side are two stable windows, them two large garage openings with two pairs of garage doors - inserted c. 1930. Beyond are two further stable windows and single stable doors. Above two larger window openings either side, then a loft doorway topped by a hoist under a dormer roof, and beyond 3 further large windows. Either side the single storey wings have a single boarded opening, an inserted garage door, a further boarded window a plank door with overlight and then three further boarded windows.
Inner courtyard contains Horse Hospital block with asphalt roof. South fa?ade has 3 stable doorways with over-lights and alternating with two stable windows, above 5 larger windows. North fa?ade symmetrical with central stable doorway flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes to each side. Above a central loft-door topped by a hoist under a dormer roof, flanked by smaller windows.
To south a single storey Van Shed added c. 1912, with large continuous garage doors and a slate roof.
To north a single storey stable range converted to motor workshops, with 3 inserted sets of garage doors and two former stable windows to left.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings