History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monkwearmouth Museum of Land Transport with Walls, Footbridge, Waiting Room

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southwick, Sunderland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9122 / 54°54'43"N

Longitude: -1.3837 / 1°23'1"W

OS Eastings: 439610

OS Northings: 557671

OS Grid: NZ396576

Mapcode National: GBR VCF.91

Mapcode Global: WHD55.QS9M

Entry Name: Monkwearmouth Museum of Land Transport with Walls, Footbridge, Waiting Room

Listing Date: 8 May 1950

Last Amended: 17 October 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391540

Location: Sunderland, SR5

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Southwick

Built-Up Area: Sunderland

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Monkwearmouth Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Sunderland

Listing Text


SUNDERLAND

NZ3957 NORTH BRIDGE STREET
920-1/11/160 (West side)
08/05/50 Monkwearmouth Museum of Land
Transport with
walls,footbridge,waiting room
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTH BRIDGE STREET
(West side)
Monkwearmouth Museum of Land
Transport and Screen walls to the
Museum)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Monkwearmouth Station NORTH BRIDGE STREET.
Railway station, now museum. Main building and screen walls
1848 as branch terminus of the Brandling Junction Railway for
the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway Co. Footbridge added
when line extended in 1879. Rear screen wall supported
original train-shed roof, now removed. Passenger waiting room
on W platform added 1879. Station closed 1981. Sandstone
ashlar station building with Welsh slate roof, cast-iron
footbridge with stone side steps and wrought-iron side
handrails, wood and glass passenger waiting room. Classical
style.
EXTERIOR: Station: has 2-storey, 3-window centre, one-storey
2-bay wings and two windows in projecting end pavilions with
quadrant end bays. Central prostyle pedimented giant Ionic
tetrastyle portico. Architraves to double panelled doors and
sashes with glazing bars. Floor band. Flanking set-back
sections have scroll brackets to cornices on architraves of
panelled doors in inner bays and windows in outer with
bracketed sills; cornice and blocking course continuing from
floor band of centre. Similar sills and lugged architraves to
windows in projecting end pavilions with paired Tuscan
pilasters flanking front windows and fluted Greek Doric
columns flanking windows in recessed quadrants with triglyph
frieze to entablature. Roof over centre runs back from
pediment and has panelled corniced ridge chimneys. Similar
chimneys on low-pitched side roofs.
Footbridge and wall: Long arcaded screen wall runs N and S,
curved at S alongside entrance drive, some arches have C19
wrought-iron railings. W screen wall 1848: ashlar. High screen
wall with moulded cornice and plain pilasters extends the
length of the W platform and abuts, at S end, part of former
goods station wall. Footbridge attached to rear of station;
1879 for North Eastern Railway. Scroll brackets support
cast-iron arched bridge with diagonally-braced parapets.
Ashlar side steps attached to station and rear screen wall,
treads repaired in rough-textured concrete, have wrought-iron
handrails attached to walls. Bridge has wood steps and
footpath, iron handrails boxed-in.
Passenger waiting room: on W platform: walls boarded below and
glazed above, with upper glazing bars, half-glazed doors, and
fret carved canopy valence to Welsh slate roof added after
train shed roof removed.
INTERIOR of station shows booking office installed 1866 and
restored to condition of 1905; windows with panelled shutters.
Curved windows in quadrant sections have lost curved glass;
all windows have shutters. Some fires obscured by museum
displays, one revealed in booking office. Upper floor formerly
station-master's house. W waiting room has boarded dado with
wooden benches attached, cast-iron fireplace with reeded
pilasters and lintel below sloped coping with central NER
monogram.
George Hudson, the railway entrepreneur, was chairman of the
railway company which built the station and had been elected
M.P. for Sunderland in 1845.
(Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle
upon Tyne: 1983-: 18; Tyne and Wear County Council Museums:
The Tyneside Classical Tradition: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1980-:
25; Hoole K: Railway Stations of the North East: Newton Abbot:
1985-: 82; Sinclair NT: Railways of Sunderland: Newcastle upon
Tyne: 1986-: 24, 45).


Listing NGR: NZ3961057671

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SUNDERLAND

NZ3957 NORTH BRIDGE STREET
920-1/11/160 (West side)
08/05/50 Monkwearmouth Museum of Land
Transport with
walls,footbridge,waiting room
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTH BRIDGE STREET
(West side)
Monkwearmouth Museum of Land
Transport and Screen walls to the
Museum)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Monkwearmouth Station NORTH BRIDGE STREET.
Railway station, now museum. Main building and screen walls
1848 as branch terminus of the Brandling Junction Railway for
the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway Co. Footbridge added
when line extended in 1879. Rear screen wall supported
original train-shed roof, now removed. Passenger waiting room
on W platform added 1879. Station closed 1981. Sandstone
ashlar station building with Welsh slate roof, cast-iron
footbridge with stone side steps and wrought-iron side
handrails, wood and glass passenger waiting room. Classical
style.
EXTERIOR: Station: has 2-storey, 3-window centre, one-storey
2-bay wings and two windows in projecting end pavilions with
quadrant end bays. Central prostyle pedimented giant Ionic
tetrastyle portico. Architraves to double panelled doors and
sashes with glazing bars. Floor band. Flanking set-back
sections have scroll brackets to cornices on architraves of
panelled doors in inner bays and windows in outer with
bracketed sills; cornice and blocking course continuing from
floor band of centre. Similar sills and lugged architraves to
windows in projecting end pavilions with paired Tuscan
pilasters flanking front windows and fluted Greek Doric
columns flanking windows in recessed quadrants with triglyph
frieze to entablature. Roof over centre runs back from
pediment and has panelled corniced ridge chimneys. Similar
chimneys on low-pitched side roofs.
Footbridge and wall: Long arcaded screen wall runs N and S,
curved at S alongside entrance drive, some arches have C19
wrought-iron railings. W screen wall 1848: ashlar. High screen
wall with moulded cornice and plain pilasters extends the
length of the W platform and abuts, at S end, part of former
goods station wall. Footbridge attached to rear of station;
1879 for North Eastern Railway. Scroll brackets support
cast-iron arched bridge with diagonally-braced parapets.
Ashlar side steps attached to station and rear screen wall,
treads repaired in rough-textured concrete, have wrought-iron
handrails attached to walls. Bridge has wood steps and
footpath, iron handrails boxed-in.
Passenger waiting room: on W platform: walls boarded below and
glazed above, with upper glazing bars, half-glazed doors, and
fret carved canopy valence to Welsh slate roof added after
train shed roof removed.
INTERIOR of station shows booking office installed 1866 and
restored to condition of 1905; windows with panelled shutters.
Curved windows in quadrant sections have lost curved glass;
all windows have shutters. Some fires obscured by museum
displays, one revealed in booking office. Upper floor formerly
station-master's house. W waiting room has boarded dado with
wooden benches attached, cast-iron fireplace with reeded
pilasters and lintel below sloped coping with central NER
monogram.
George Hudson, the railway entrepreneur, was chairman of the
railway company which built the station and had been elected
M.P. for Sunderland in 1845.
(Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle
upon Tyne: 1983-: 18; Tyne and Wear County Council Museums:
The Tyneside Classical Tradition: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1980-:
25; Hoole K: Railway Stations of the North East: Newton Abbot:
1985-: 82; Sinclair NT: Railways of Sunderland: Newcastle upon
Tyne: 1986-: 24, 45).


Listing NGR: NZ3961057671

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.