This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9128 / 52°54'45"N
Longitude: -0.9831 / 0°58'59"W
OS Eastings: 468477
OS Northings: 335522
OS Grid: SK684355
Mapcode National: GBR 9KP.B8R
Mapcode Global: WHFJC.W10T
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241830
Location: Cropwell Bishop, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Civil Parish: Cropwell Bishop
Built-Up Area: Cropwell Bishop
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Cropwell Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
CROPWELL BISHOP FERN ROAD
SK63NE (north side)
1/22 Church of St Giles
Church. C13 arcades, mainly C14, C15 clerestory and tower, chancel
restored 1854. Thinly coursed rubble with quoins, ashlar buttresses
and tower. Lead roofs except tiled chancel roof. West tower, 4-bay
nave with lean-to north and south aisles and south porch, 3-bay
chancel. Perpendicular tower of circa 1450 with clasping and angle
buttresses, in 3 reducing stages. 3-light west window, small 2-light
bell-chamber openings to top stage, double decorative frieze, crenellated
parapet with corner pinnacles. 3-light west windows to the aisles with
intersecting tracery. Perpendicular south porch with shallow arch and
shallow lead roof. The south aisle has two 3-light square-headed
windows, with ogee lights and an embattled parapet. 3-light east
window with reticulated tracery. The north aisle has tiny lancet
windows one with a round arch. 2-light, arched clerestory windows.
Interior: 4-bay north and south arcades on short round piers, both
C13 but the north side is earlier with nail-head decoration. Good
nave roof, Perpendicular of C16 with wall posts supported on monsters'
heads. Carved initials and dates show repairs to have been done to
the roof in 1600, 1785 and 1794 (Church guide). The south aisle roof
is inscribed "IW TP 1722 IH". In the north aisle, east end is a
section of C13 wall plate with nailhead decoration, and a similar
timber in the north aisle roof. A beam in the porch is inscribed
"OH ANNO DOMINI 1608 THE XXVII OF AUGUST TB". Aumbry, south aisle,
east end. Piscina in chancel. Octagonal font, decorated, early C14,
plain on square base. A fragment of late C14 stained glass in east
window of north aisle, a cloaked bearded figure. Late C14 or early
C15 benches, in chancel, with poppy heads and moulded back rails.
5 bells: C16, 1669, 1757, one recast 1905 and one new 1905.
N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SK6847735522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings