This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9126 / 52°54'45"N
Longitude: -0.983 / 0°58'58"W
OS Eastings: 468486
OS Northings: 335508
OS Grid: SK684355
Mapcode National: GBR 9KP.J8S
Mapcode Global: WHFJC.W12X
Entry Name: Headstones in Churchyard of Church of St Giles, South of Church
Listing Date: 23 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210806
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241833
Location: Cropwell Bishop, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Civil Parish: Cropwell Bishop
Built-Up Area: Cropwell Bishop
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Cropwell Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
CROPWELL BISHOP FERN ROAD
SK63NE (north side)
1/25 Headstones in
- Churchyard of
Church of St Giles,
south of Church
Headstones. C18 and early C19. Mainly slate. East to west:
1. Small, rectangular, very ornate, to: William Felstead d.1759.
Signed J. Sparrow.
2. Shaped, delicate, to John son of John and Ann Briggs. d.1794.
Signed Wood, Bingham.
3. Rectangular, delicate, to: Francis German and Ann his wife
d.1771 and 1790.
4. Small, shaped, ornate to: John and Thomas, sons of Thomas and
Ann German d.1778 aged 17 years and 1782 aged 19 years. Signed
5. Small, shaped, delicate, to: Thomas German d.1781 aged 44 years.
6. Large, shaped, classical, divided vertically, to: Richard Smith
d.1802 and Ann relict of Richard Smith d.1806.
7. Rectangular, with moulded surround very finely cut, to: George
White d.2lst August 1720 in his 89th year.
8. Small, rectangular, fairly plain, to: George White d.1777.
9. Tall, rectangular, ornate, to: Mary, the wife of Robert German,
10. Small, rectangular, to: Charles Bosworth d.l2th October 1728
aged 72 years.
11. Rectangular, classical with relief carving, to: Samuel White,
Gent. who was, for 30 years one of the High Constables of the
hundred of Bingham. d.1813.
12. Shaped, to: Charles Bosworth d.1772 in his 80th year.
13. Shaped, classical, to: Mary, the wife of Robert Kirkman d.1805.
Also Isaac their son. Signed Wood.
14. Small, freestone,part-obscured. Early to mid C18.
15. Shaped, to: Mary the wife of William Hemsley d.1788.
16. Large, shaped, classical with relief in round panel, to: Richard
Mabbott and Mary his wife d.1780 and 1795. Signed Wood.
17. Small, rectangular, with moulded edge and relief carving in
corners and an oval panel, to: Amy Mabbott wife of William
18. Tall, shaped, to: Robert Kirkman d.1773. Signed W. Barnes.
19. Very broad, divided vertically,to: Robert Kirkman d.1767 and
Sarah wife of Robert Kirkman d.1761. Also William and Sarah
their grandchildren who died in infancy.
20. Shaped with relief winged cherubs head in roundel, to: Elenor the
wife of William Wilford d.1778. Also William Wilford d.1784.
21. Freestone, small, shaped, to: Richard ?. Early C18.
22. Rectangular, classical with delicate flowers to: Joseph Hemsley
23. Shaped, delicate, to Elizabeth relict of John Pilkington d.1792
aged 75 years.
24. Shaped, classical, to: John Pilkington d.1804 in his 55th year.
25. Broad, shaped, classical, very fine with roundel in head to:
John Pilkington d.1783.
26. Tall, shaped with relief in roundel in head, to: Thomas Pilkington
he married Mildred the daughter of William and Martha Hubbard of
27. Large, shaped, classical with urn in roundel in head, to:
Christopher Bell d.1784. Signed Brown.
28. Shaped, classical with relief trumpeting angel in roundel in head,
to: John Bell d.1783.
29. Shaped, classical with relief winged cherubs head in roundel, to:
Mary the daughter of John and Ann Bell d.1783 aged 19 years.
30. Broad, divided vertically, to: Ann, wife of Christopher Bell
d.1751 and Christopher Bell d.1751.
31. Small,rectangular, to: Elizabeth wife of John Bell d.1772.
32. Small, rectangular with flowing decoration to: Stephen Daft,
d.1753 aged 38 years.
Listing NGR: SK6848635508
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings