This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3971 / 53°23'49"N
Longitude: -2.152 / 2°9'7"W
OS Eastings: 389992
OS Northings: 388933
OS Grid: SJ899889
Mapcode National: GBR FYD4.XY
Mapcode Global: WHB9W.XWF2
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 10 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067194
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210784
Location: Stockport, SK2
Electoral Ward/Division: Davenport and Cale Green
Built-Up Area: Stockport
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Stockport St George
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 9088 12/48,
SJ 8988 16/48
BUXTON ROAD (West Side),
Church of St George
1896-7. Architects, Austin and Paley, General character Perpendicular of
the end of the Gothic Revival, with traces of Art Nouveau. Splendid large
building in ashlar. Crenellated crossing tower with carved inscription with
spire between thin flying buttresses connecting it with four pinnacles, with whole
about 230ft high. East window of seven lights between heavy buttresses. West
window of seven lights Interior has six bays before crossing: wide high nave with
attractive wooden ceiling. Organ case by Austin. Built at the expense of
George Fearn, a brewer, who also gave the Vicarage and the School (qv). His
grave is marked by a miniature replica of the church spire.
St George's Church, St George's Church of England Primary School and Secondary
Modern Schools, Wall and gate piers form a group with the Vicarage.
Listing NGR: SJ8999288929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings