This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3664 / 50°21'59"N
Longitude: -4.1604 / 4°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 246450
OS Northings: 54068
OS Grid: SX464540
Mapcode National: GBR R7C.83
Mapcode Global: FRA 2852.H05
Entry Name: Royal Marine Barracks East Barrack Block and Forecourt Railings
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473362
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4654SW DURNFORD STREET, Stonehouse
740-1/60/786 (East side)
01/05/75 Royal Marine Barracks: East Barrack
Block and forecourt railings
Formerly known as: N and E Blocks, Officers Mess, Dining Hall
& Single Officer's Accom. DURNFORD STREET Stonehouse, R M
Barrack block at Marines barracks. 1781-83, built for the
Ordnance Board by Templer & Parlby, and extended 1818 and
c1860; rebuilt internally c1965.
MATERIALS: Plymouth limestone rubble with limestone dressings;
dry slate roofs with hipped ends and stone coping over cross
walls (formerly with stone axial stacks).
PLAN: very long rectangular single-depth plan plus taller
square stair tower to rear left behind the northward extension
of 12 bays.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys over basement; 12:3:10:5:10:3-bay range
which was symmetrical prior to 1860 12-bay extension to the N.
Original 5-bay pedimented central block and original 3-bay end
blocks broken forward and with rusticated quoins; band above
ground floor. Many early C19 hornless sashes with glazing
bars, otherwise horned copies, all within plain stone
architraves. Original doorway to centre of pedimented block,
with blocked jambs and cornice, the other doorways central to
each 5-window range within the 10-window ranges, doorways left
and right of the 3-window ranges and approximately central to
the extension on the left; overlights and planked doors. The
doorways to the N extension have segmental-arched heads. A
segmental-arched tunnel beneath the entrance cut through early
C19. Rear of main range plain, N extension has 4 shallow
projecting ablution towers to rear of transverse stairs, with
INTERIOR: completely rebuilt c1965.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: late C19 latticed and scrolled
wrought-iron railings surrounding forecourt and flanking
HISTORY: this is one of the earliest surviving barracks for a
large unit of men in England. It is part of the only remaining
barracks built for the three divisions of the Royal Marines
after their formation in 1755. Originally contained 12
single-depth rooms separated by transverse stairs. The passage
between the former officers' mess at the S end was built over
in 1818. Stonehouse is the oldest and most important barracks
in England not forming part of a fortification, a rare example
of C18 planning, and a complex of great historic value.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX4645054068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings