This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3979 / 52°23'52"N
Longitude: 0.264 / 0°15'50"E
OS Eastings: 554136
OS Northings: 280178
OS Grid: TL541801
Mapcode National: GBR M6H.MKW
Mapcode Global: VHHJ6.JZFM
Entry Name: Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School)
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 19 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48712
Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Ely
Built-Up Area: Ely
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ely
Church of England Diocese: Ely
(Boarding House of
(formerly listed as
part of Residences
incorporating remains of
TL 5479 2/102 Infirmary including Chapel)
The Cellares House, now a boarding house of King's School extends south at
the west end of Infirmary Lane. It is probably of earlier date than Infirmary.
The ground storey has massive walls and a Norman barrel vault. Much of the
building was demolished in 1770 when the dwelling was built on the south
side. The north side has 2 bays of the C12 Infirmary arcade, with rickly
ornamented arches and capitals. The roof is tiled, with flat headed dormers.
the buff coloured house on the south side was built in 1770 and an upper
attic storey was added in the C19. The south front has 5 window range,
double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in flush cased frames. A central
C19 gabled porch projects on the front. The west front is C19 with 2 stone
mullioned bays, in C14 style and 2 crow-stepped gables. The roof is tiled,
with 5 C19 gabled dormers on the south front.
The Dark Cloister, Powcher's Hall, the Painted Chamber (Walsingham House),
the Chapel of the Infirmary (Deanery), the Black Hostelry and Cellarers Chamber
and Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School) form a group.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.
Listing NGR: TL5413680178
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings