This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3981 / 52°23'53"N
Longitude: 0.2643 / 0°15'51"E
OS Eastings: 554156
OS Northings: 280201
OS Grid: TL541802
Mapcode National: GBR M6H.MN0
Mapcode Global: VHHJ6.JZLH
Entry Name: Powcher's Hall
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 19 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48708
Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Ely
Built-Up Area: Ely
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ely
Church of England Diocese: Ely
(formerly listed as part of
remains of Infirmary including
TL 5479 2/98 Chapel)
The building at the north west end of Infirmary Lane was originally the
Blood Letting House, built in the early Cl4 to accommodate the monks who
underwent the Ely practice of blood letting once every 6 weeks. In 1416,
it is recorded, Prior Powcher caused to be built, almost anew, the hall
in the Infirmary for those who had been bled. A 3rd storey, which is timber-
framed, was added in the early Cl6. On the south side there are 5 bays
of the C12 Infirmary arcading with alternate round and octagonal columns
and richly ornamental arches and capitals and 3 tall round headed clerestorey
windows above with nook shafts on what was originally the outside face.
The nave arches are now blocked and have C20 windows. The north front
is buttressed and the 2nd storey has some timber-framing with brick nogging.
The windows are much altered, some are double-hung sashes with glazing
bars and some are mullioned and transomed casements. Roofs tiled, the
eastern part is steeply pitched with a C16 roof structure. The interior
has moulded beams.
The Dark Cloister, Powcher's Hall, the Painted Chamber (Walsingham House),
the Chapel of the Infirmary (Deanery), the Black Hostelry and Cellarers
Chamber and Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School0 form a group.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.
Listing NGR: TL5415680201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings