This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6222 / 50°37'19"N
Longitude: -4.6796 / 4°40'46"W
OS Eastings: 210557
OS Northings: 83702
OS Grid: SX105837
Mapcode National: GBR N4.B3SY
Mapcode Global: FRA 172F.BQT
Entry Name: Darlington Hotel
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137873
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68486
Location: Camelford, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Camelford
Built-Up Area: Camelford
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos by Camelford
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CAMELFORD FORE STREET (west side), Camelford
SX 1083 - 1183
8/43 (15/3) Darlington Hotel, No. 4
Hotel. Circa late C16 or C17 with circa early C19 remodelling and extensions.
Rendered and painted stone rubble with slate hung timber frame on front elevation.
Rag slate roof with gable ends and gable end to front wing on left. Brick stack on
right hand gable end, truncated stone rubble rear lateral stack and brick stack in
gable end of front wing on left.
Plan: possibly originally a 3-room and cross passage plan with the front wing added
on the higher end. Ground rises to rear and to left. Lower end on right heated by
gable end stack and hall in centre originally heated by a rear lateral stack. The
inner room may have been unheated. A projecting wing of 1-room plan extends forward
from the higher end on left and is heated by a gable end stack. The front elevation
appears to have had a first floor jettied over the ground floor to both the main
range and the front wing; forming a walk way below with an arcade of granite piers.
In circa early C19, outshot extensions were added to the front partly obscuring the
3 storey asymmetrical front elevation. Main range has C19 outshot extensions to
right and left, remodelled and largely rebuilt in C20. The central part of the
ground floor is set back. First floor with three 4-pane sashes and 3 light casement
to second floor. Granite pier visible in corner of right hand gable end indicating
an arcade. The front wing on left also has a first floor jettied over the ground
floor, the granite piers partly obscured by single storey outshots and a C19 wrought
iron balcony obscures the bresummer. First floor of the inner side of the left hand
wing has a tripartite sash and 18-pane sash and second floor with 2 sashes, the
bottom lights blocked.
Rear elevation to Chapel Street of 2-storeys and basement with ground sloping down to
left. Sashes and casements with sill and lintel of mullion window on second floor to
left of truncated projecting rear lateral stack and frame of 2-light mullion window
with mullions removed on ground floor to right. In higher right hand gable end
square granite frame of circa C17 window asymmetrical placed in gable end with 2
mortices for stanchion bars visible.
Interior : Only remodelled ground floor accessible at time of survey (1986). A full
interior inspection would be helpful in order to understand the construction of the
Listing NGR: SX1055783702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings