This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6225 / 50°37'20"N
Longitude: -4.6796 / 4°40'46"W
OS Eastings: 210555
OS Northings: 83736
OS Grid: SX105837
Mapcode National: GBR N4.B3SV
Mapcode Global: FRA 172F.BQP
Entry Name: Warmington Hotel House
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327698
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68520
Location: Camelford, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Camelford
Built-Up Area: Camelford
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos by Camelford
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CAMELFORD MARKET PLACE, Camelford
SX 1083 - 1183
8/77 (15/5) Warmington Hotel House, No. 32
Private house, now hotel. Circa early C17, remodelled in late C18 or early C19.
Rendered and painted stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends and gable end to rear
wing on left. Large brick stack on right hand gable end and moulded circa early C17
stack with granite cap on left hand gable end. Brick stack on rear gable end on
Plan: Ground slopes down on right hand side and rises up to rear. The original plan
of the house is uncertain and the house may have been one of a row of C17 town houses
with a probably remodelled C17 house adjoining on the left hand gable end (qv No. 34
Market Place and No. 2 Chapel Street). It is uncertain for which house the circa C17
moulded granite stack on the left hand gable end was built. The house was probably
of a 2 room and through passage plan, both rooms heated by gable end stacks. In
circa mid C17 a probable kitchen wing, heated by a gable end stack, was added to the
rear of the left hand room. In circa mid C18 the house was partly altered there
being several doors with raised and fielded panels and a stair was possibly added in
a projection to the rear of the through passage. In circa late C18 or early C19 the
house was remodelled, the existing possibly earlier stair was replaced and the front
range was raised from 2½ storeys to 3 storeys. In circa mid to late C20 an extension
was added to the rear of the left hand wing and rear of the right hand room.
3 storeys and basement below front range. Unaltered early C19 front elevation with
symmetrical 3-window front. Central entrance with early C19 8-panel door, semi-
circular fanlight, doorcase with fluted pilasters and Doric frieze. Ground and first
floor have early C19 16-pane hornless sashes and second floor early C19 4/8 pane
hornless sashes, the central sash window replaced with a horned sash. The front
elevation is obscured by ivy. The right hand side elevation of the rear wing has an
early C18 12-pane sash window with thick glazing bars of ovolo moulded section on
interior and unmoulded flat section on exterior.
Interior : wide passage with C19 moulded arch to rear leading through to rear wing.
Left hand room has a circa late C19 marble chimneypiece with corbelled brackets and
an early C20 grate. Fireplace in rear kitchen wing remodelled in late C20 with
carved head above lintel which although of medieval style has been painted and the
date is difficult to assess. Circa mid C17 chamfered ceiling beams, the stops
obscured. Circa early to mid C19 stair, the lower stage with turned balusters and
the upper stages with stick balusters and square newels. First floor has several 4-
panel doors with raised and fielded panels and the bedroom on left has a timber,
circa late C19 chimneypiece decorated with marbling.
Roof : The roof structure in the rear kitchen wing comprises 3 pairs of principals,
halved, lapped and pegged at the apices and slightly cambered collars which are
lapped and pegged on to the face of the principals. The roof above the front range
has been replaced in the late C19. 1 truss of circa earlier C19 survives at the
lower roof height.
Warmington House was sold to George Warmington in 1704 for £190. In 1722 Lord
Falmouth purchased 'one messuage or dwelling house . . with the Courtilage Malthouse
Dryhouse Shopp and Hoggstyes thereunto belonging to the said messuage on the backside
thereof and one meadow adjoining to the said plott . .'. In 1822 it was sold to the
Earl of Darlington, later Duke of Cleveland together with a pew in the parish church
(qv Church of St Julitta, Lanteglos-by-Camelford).
Warmington House is interesting both as an example of a C17 town house and because of
its early C19 remodelling which remains unaltered. The early C18 sash window in the
rear wing is a rare survival in Cornwall.
Sources : Extract from the Deeds.
Listing NGR: SX1055583736
Other nearby listed buildings