History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Customs House

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Middlesbrough

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.5835 / 54°35'0"N

Longitude: -1.2341 / 1°14'2"W

OS Eastings: 449596

OS Northings: 521195

OS Grid: NZ495211

Mapcode National: GBR MHTF.MQ

Mapcode Global: WHD70.02L0

Entry Name: Customs House

Listing Date: 12 April 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139855

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59764

Location: Middlesbrough, TS2

County: Middlesbrough

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

NZ 42 SE (4921) west side.

1/57 Customs House
- II
Coal Exchange and hotel, 1836 by G. Burlison (Darlington). Mid C19 rear
extension. Used as Customs House 1881 - c.1960; now used as community
centre. Brick, faced on north and east sides with sandstone ashlar; banded
rustication on ground floor. Welsh slate roof with rendered stack; felt
slates on rear extension. Greek revival style. 2 storeys, 3 x 3 bays
defined by giant pilasters. (East) entrance front has central renewed
panelled double doors, overlight and 5-pane sidelights, in doorcase with
fluted Doric columns and antae. 2 sash windows with glazing bars in each
bay. Chamfered plinth, sill bands on ground floor, panelled aprons below
first-floor windows and entablature between floors. Flag pole, in middle of
first floor, passes through cornice. Shallow parapet, slightly raised and
panelled over middle bay. Shallow-pitched hipped and gabled roof.
Transverse ridge stack. Similar right return with window in place of
central door. 3-panel double doors and overlight up 4 steps at right end.
One-storey rear extension. Altered interior retains ground and first-floor
assembly rooms at north end. Both have wood door architraves. Ceiling on
first floor has deep double-recessed panels with coving and dentil cornices,
above panelled wood tie beam supporting short panelled queen posts with
egg-and-dart mouldings. Former cottages, adjoining south side, are not of
special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ4959621195

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.