This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5824 / 54°34'56"N
Longitude: -1.2348 / 1°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 449551
OS Northings: 521072
OS Grid: NZ495210
Mapcode National: GBR MHTG.G3
Mapcode Global: WHD70.028V
Entry Name: Old Town Hall
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139853
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59753
Location: Middlesbrough, TS2
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH MARKET PLACE.
NZ 42 SE (4921)
1/52 Old Town Hall.
Town Hall, 1846 by W.L. Moffat (Doncaster). Now used as public library and
community centre. Brick with stone dressings, now rendered and scored to
imitate dressed stone. Welsh slate roof. Italianate. 2-storey, 5-bay
(north) entrance front. Central recessed renewed double doors in
slightly-projecting, keyed, segment-headed surround, under narrow
entablature. Slightly-projecting end bays with clasping pilaster strips
supporting continuous modillion cornice and shallow straight parapet with
moulded copings. Round-headed windows, paired in end bays and in groups of
3 in centre, on ground floor, with altered and blocked glazing in quoin
surrounds. Round-arched first-floor sashes,with margin lights, have keyed
archivolts on tapered pilasters and corbelled projecting moulded sills;
plain sill band. Shallow-pitched hipped roof. 3-bay returns have similar
central round-headed doorways and ground-floor windows, altered in left
return. Central Venetian window, with sashes and slender panelled pilasters
flanking centre light, on first floor of right return. Lateral stacks at
rear now missing. INTERIOR: first-floor council chamber has panelled doors
in wood architraves, and windows with pilasters and keyed archivolts.
Basket-arched panelled and beamed ceiling has 3 round vents with raised
moulded boarders. Panelled front to public gallery. Dogleg staircase,
leading from first floor to gallery, has shaped tread ends, stick balusters,
turned newel and handrail ramped at ends.
Listing NGR: NZ4955121072
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings