This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1841 / 50°11'2"N
Longitude: -5.4218 / 5°25'18"W
OS Eastings: 155822
OS Northings: 37164
OS Grid: SW558371
Mapcode National: GBR DXZ6.C8T
Mapcode Global: VH12M.ZM2R
Entry Name: Former Offices and Remains of Foundry of Harvey and Company
Listing Date: 29 April 1983
Last Amended: 7 November 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70201
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Erth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW5537 FOUNDRY SQUARE
29-APR-83 (West side)
Former offices and remains of foundry
of Harvey and Company
(Formerly listed as:
No 24 (premises occupied by Slades))
Foundry office and remains of foundry. Late C18 and early-mid C19; built by Harvey and Company; altered late C20. Stuccoed stone and boarded timber frame. Hipped grouted scantle slate roof. Brick axial stack. Slate-hung clock turret left of centre with moulded eaves cornice to pyramidal roof with gablet over each clock face.
PLAN: L-shaped on plan main office range incorporating C18 foundry entrance, furnaces and limekiln; rear right-hand [SW] wing added in early-mid C19 as drawing office.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 4-window north front with large round-arched carriage doorway under the right-hand window. Window to each centre bay, blind left hand bay (ground floor). Original 12-pane hornless sashes to first floor (including left-hand return). Circa early C20 windows to ground floor openings. Left-hand return wall has wide shop window. At rear weatherboarded drawing office wing raised on iron posts and with large 12-pane sash windows.
INTERIOR: Substantial remains of part of original C18 foundry, including remains of a furnace, a lime kiln and part of original yard with cobbles and drain. Small part of original office, but mainly pre-1845 offices and in rear wing pre-1888 drawing office supported on cast-iron posts. Two large iron-plated armoured strong rooms supported on cast-iron piers and with cast-iron panelled doors and another strong room made of Barlow rails. Granite cantilevered stairs to office with cast-iron balustrade. Tiled lavatories. Part of the first floor of the main range has been removed. King-post roof over main front range. Clock in turret over main range made in 1893 by John H. West of Hayle, has illuminated dial.
Listing NGR: SW5582237164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings