History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sullivan House, Former Baptist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Saffron Walden, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0228 / 52°1'22"N

Longitude: 0.2427 / 0°14'33"E

OS Eastings: 553973

OS Northings: 238416

OS Grid: TL539384

Mapcode National: GBR MC3.269

Mapcode Global: VHHL4.5F45

Entry Name: Sullivan House, Former Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 28 November 1951

Last Amended: 31 October 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 370626

Location: Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Saffron Walden

Built-Up Area: Saffron Walden

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Saffron Walden

Listing Text


669-1/1/242 (South side)
28/11/51 Sullivan House, former Baptist
(Formerly Listed as:
General Baptist Chapel)


Baptist chapel, no longer in use. Reached by alleyway W of
No.25 (qv). Constructed 1792 and renovated in 1890. C20
additional porch and further renovation. Timber-framed and
plastered with brick ground floor walling, peg-tiled roof,
some repair in C20 brown clay tiles. Rectangular plan. 2
storeys. E front elevation: 3 bays with C19 projecting ground
floor gabled porch with flanking C20 flat roofed additions.
Porch has shaped barge-boards, plain doorway with overlight,
simple arch-head blind niche each side, door C19, 2 leaves
with 6 bead moulded flush panels. First floor, C19 sashes with
glazing bars 4x4 panes. Roof hipped. W end elevation: 2 window
range, first floor windows have moulded architraves, sashes
with glazing bars, 4x4 panes. Ground floor C20 full width
slated lean-to addition with central gabled porch in similar
style to one at E end. Two 4x4 paned sash windows. 2 leaf door
with 4 panels. Hipped roof has 2 ridges with small valley
between. N and S side elevations similar, 2 first floor sash
windows, moulded architraves, glazing bars, 4x4 panes. Ground
floor, 3 C20 2-light metal casement windows. To left, in
ground floor porch, C20 casement window, glazing bars, 2x2
INTERIOR: first floor rooms have panelled dado, some C19
panelled doors. Ground floor all refurbished and altered in
C20. The congregation was founded in 1711 by Robert Cosen,
steward of Audley End House (qv).

Listing NGR: TL5397338416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.